MGNOC of NJ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Great Ride and Great BBQ

4 posters

Go down

Great Ride and Great BBQ Empty Great Ride and Great BBQ

Post by 9fingers Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:13 am

I went for a great ride Saturday, beautiful and 62 to 66 the whole day so warm enough with no electrics. Rode up 284 from the town of Sussex and into Pine Island and then to Mount Peter ski area and up over the mountain and down to Greenwood Lake and then on to Warwick. We stopped at Greenwood Lake Coffee Roasters for a delicious dark roast and while sitting on the bench a V85 went by, the grey version. Then we headed to Harriman State Park and 7 Lakes Drive. If you guys down south have not done this road it should be on your bucket list.......just beautiful, and no people on the roads at this point. Then headed towards Bear Mountain. Ended up going up 293 towards West Point and at the junction near 9W I saw a road off to the left and got curious. Turned out to be 218, I think also called Storm King Road, or something like that. It was like the twisty part of Hawksnest, but for 2 miles! It runs up along the Hudson and the rocky cliffs on each side were spectacular. We got to the top, where there is a small lookout parking spot and were the only ones there at 1:00. You guys probably know about this spot......me being a relative newbie to road bikes.......I was thrilled to find it! Part of why I took this overall route was to try Barnstormer BBQ, which I saw in my first issue of Backroads Magazine. The Brisket, fries and coleslaw were all excellent. This is my new go to in that area for sure, though there are a couple of Mexican places nearby that are probably worth trying. You guys probably already know about the Barnstormer too, but I mention it just in case. I blew the route coming home and ended up on 17 doing 70 and getting blown around by the wind........I hate highways......Couple of pics on 218. See you one of these days. I am doing the mid July Backroads mag get together up in VT, NH and ME........I don't normally do group rides or big rally type get togethers, and I don't know these people.........but if I don't like it I can go off on my own! But I do expect to learn some new roads and get some good food and beer.....Taking the V Strom on this trip as the V7 Seat is good for a maximum of 5 hours for me. I am ordering lower pegs and I think that will take a little pressure off of my spine. Taking Sophia down the BRP end of May, for the first time on her, and staying with NcDan for a couple of nights, which should be a hoot. His wife is from Millville NJ! Anyway, enjoy Spring and see you in Summer? Eric, you and I need to get together at that Italian place you like and go for a serious ride too!
Scott
.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

9fingers

royaloilfield likes this post

Back to top Go down

Great Ride and Great BBQ Empty Re: Great Ride and Great BBQ

Post by mogu83 Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:49 am

My old stomping grounds and where I learned to ride, often under the influence of alcoholic beverage.  The only thing I miss about North Jersey are the roads around Greenwood lake and lower New York.  I lived in Bergen County and we used to go over Storm King, Seven Lakes Drive on our way to and from the bars in New York.  Stopped there a few years ago on the way North, the road was pretty busted up.  Looks like the same spot.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
mogu83
mogu83

9fingers likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BigRagu Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:44 pm

Thanks for the ride report, they're always interesting. I'll try and get up there this season. As for group riding, they can be fun as long as the group follows some group etiquette.

BigRagu

Back to top Go down

Post by 9fingers Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:14 pm

If ANY of you get up my way, do let me know! I have multi day rides planned end of May (Down BRP to Ashville), mid June at the Jampot rally up past Hunter, and mid July with the Backroads mag people, and then a probably solo one up in the Adirondacks end of September.
any other times? I am available!
Scott

9fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Cam3512 Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:21 pm

Do you know of a campground up that way? Maybe we can do NJ 2 nighter and ride those roads.

Cam3512
Cam3512

Back to top Go down

Post by 9fingers Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:10 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I have never been to this place but it gets good reviews. I can check it out if you like, only about 10 miles from me and nicely located in the same town as that gourmet burger place I told you about, the Barnyard. I would thoroughly enjoy taking you guys on some rides up here if you so desire, thru Harriman, out on an awesome road that leads to Hawley Pa. If anyone is interested we could do a cool route I love up to Phoenicia for great Pizza at Brios. That is about 2.5 hours each way so a long day but a spectacular ride.
Scott

9fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by 9fingers Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:34 pm

There are regular tent camping campgrounds around here too, of course.
Scott

9fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down