MGNOC of NJ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Please Read > What kind of club are we?

+5
Cam3512
Kev M
Guzziboy66
mogu83
egschade
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Please Read > What kind of club are we? Empty Please Read > What kind of club are we?

Post by egschade Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:45 pm

As everyone is very aware it's challenging to get everyone together to meet due to the different locations of members. This forum includes members from the northern-most counties and NYC to points south of Philly. For a club that's a pretty big geographic spread.

I'm wondering if it makes sense to split into South and North sub-groups who share the same forum but schedule different events. The weather is also a factor as the weather patterns are different enough to affect planning.

Folks would be welcome to travel to the others meets but scheduling two events per month will hopefully improve participation through proximity. I would continue to schedule the North events and would looking for one of the 'Southerners' to take lead on scheduling those. I'll also plan a couple more central events where we'll try to get everyone together - maybe spring kickoff and fall final rides.

Let me know what you think

Last edited by egschade on Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:52 am; edited 1 time in total
egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Please Read > What kind of club are we? Empty Re: Please Read > What kind of club are we?

Post by mogu83 Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:08 pm

We have a group of about 45 members, of that group less than 20 are even minimally active on this forum and they are spread over a State 250 miles long.  I think the greater percentage of those 20 live in the southern part of the State (hard to be sure because people don't post their location).   Those are the facts.
What you suggest makes perfect sense and is basically the way we've been operating.

IMHO, Guzzi riders aren't joiners (like BMW folk) which might be reflected by the machine they ride. If you go to the local Guzzi rallies you have to notice that they are put on by one or two people and not by a club (per se).

Naturally as 'State Rep' you take on the responsibility of trying to organize some sort of State activity, and your efforts are appreciated, but don't expect miracles.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
mogu83
mogu83

Guzziboy66 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Please Read > What kind of club are we? Empty Re: Please Read > What kind of club are we?

Post by egschade Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:10 pm

Harry, I get what you're saying about Guzzi folks being more independent and not really club oriented. I went to the BMW 3-Club rumble Sunday and despite most of the New Sweden folks being at the rally there were still over 40 people who showed up. That included folks from the shore area, PA and NY.

If folks really don't care about meeting up at our own events and just want to stay connected through the forum that may be OK. We can agree to meet at different events others put on but won't bother doing our own. I understand many are busy with families and/or work. For participating in rides/meet-ups it's a reasonable excuse but the lack of interest and participation in the forum is dispiriting. If I look at the forum stats it's less than 10 people who I would consider active.

Hopefully this discussion will generate some responses from the other members. I'd like to use the feedback to consider how to run the group going forward.
egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by Guzziboy66 Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:00 pm

Your idea is reasonable, and I'm for it.  We do operate a little bit Loosey-Guzzi (see what I did there?)  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] and I think many people work off a stricter schedule.  The Princeton Classic Riders group host the Bikes & breakfast thing the second Sunday of every month.  People are able to factor that in when making plans.

Maybe a more regular schedule would help to increase participation?
Guzziboy66
Guzziboy66

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev M Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:57 am

You've got little participation so you want to cut the possible participant numbers in half and try to have more events?

I understand what you're saying, but it doesn't make sense.

But it doesn't matter to me - since Seamus and Fiona both go so involved in travel soccer my time is screwed.

I have commitments (for them) - Mon, Wed, Thu, sometimes Friday, and games on Sat AND Sun.

This week that's SIX games Sat/Sun.

I'll see you guys one of these days.

Kev M

Mac likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:13 am

I didn't play that much when I was on the Quinnipiac varsity team! Youth soccer - it's an industry.
egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev M Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:23 am

egschade wrote:I didn't play that much when I was on the Quinnipiac varsity team! Youth soccer - it's an industry.

It is that's for sure. And this is just Medford Soccer Club - travel teams so games are mostly South Jersey Soccer League. Their academy/club level teams (Real) play across the east coast.

But I should says Mon/Wed/Thu (and some Fridays) are all trainings - professional trainers working with the coaches. Fiona has extra - most team trainings are just twice a week, but she also plays goalie and has goalie trainings Thu and some Fridays. Weekends are games. Seamus' games are supposed be Sundays, Fi's on Saturdays. This weekend they are BOTH in tournaments (and of course Momma is working 8-2 both Sat and Sun). So it's just constant.

As long as they love it - I'm in. But I'm still saving like a SOB for college....

Actually about the only time I get to ride is - well - RIGHT NOW - I'm taking a couple hour brake. Be back later.

Kev

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by mogu83 Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:42 am

egschade wrote:I didn't play that much when I was on the Quinnipiac varsity team! Youth soccer - it's an industry.
Youth sports, in general, is an industry. My Boys played traveling ice hockey years ago and we went as far as Québec and Montréal with numerous week ends in Massachusetts. I thought that was excessive. Now I have two grandsons playing, two of my sons have teams (one high level) and the time involved and expense is just crazy. People pay thousands to have their kid on a AA or AAA team, even when the coach tells them the child doesn't have the skill to play at that level and he/she won't have that much ice time.
High school sports are just as bad with school districts stealing athletes from other school districts, and this is public schools. The private schools are at a whole different level offering free tuition to the player and sometimes siblings, if the parent plays it right. Again this is at the High School level. I knew this happened at the college level, and see it as a granddaughter plays D1 softball.
mogu83
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev M Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:46 pm

Ahhhhh .... nice out there today.

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by Cam3512 Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:24 pm

How about doing a spring camp out somewhere? Nothing like a couple days/night of riding and campfires to form a bond. A couple hundy miles to get there and stay two nights isn’t too much to ask.

Cam
Cam3512
Cam3512

Back to top Go down

Post by mogu83 Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:08 pm

Cam3512 wrote:How about doing a spring camp out somewhere?  Nothing like a couple days/night of riding and campfires to form a bond.  A couple hundy miles to get there and stay two nights isn’t too much to ask.
Cam
Naturally I would participate  and could even pick a location (this would be perfect [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]), but personally I find the lack of interest in past efforts rather disappointing.   Two of us just rode over 1,000 miles (round trip) to freeze with fellow Guzzi people in the mountains of Virginia.   Yes, I'm retired but I did the same when I was working and had four active kids, but admittedly to a lesser degree.  Point is; if you really want to do it, then it can be done.   Apparently there is little interest in rallying in this group, that's just the way it is.

Speaking to a monthly breakfast/lunch meeting.   Back in the 80/90s we (NJ Guzzi) had breakfast at a dinner on Rt22 somewhere in Hunterdon county.  Same location same day every month, we had two guys show up, fairly regularly, from Cape May on Eldorados.  That's well over a hundred miles.
  Three Beemer clubs I belong to have a monthly meeting on a weekday (same day every month) meeting in the evening at a restaurant where the members can have diner before the meeting.  Point is having it at the same location, same day every month seems to work.  Having it on a weekday evening, once a month, works because it leaves the weekends for family (or whatever).  If we're only having 8/10 people we could likely get by with a simple reservation.

And that's what I think.

Last edited by mogu83 on Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
mogu83
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:58 am

I would be totally on board with scheduling a recurring monthly meeting. I agree that having a set date, time and location helps. The trick will be finding somewhere reasonably accessible for the active members

I'll start a new topic on choosing when and where to meet.

As far as rally interest, there is a core group who is able and willing to commit a weekend to attend one. I know that there are several members who have a hard time clearing that much time. That said, I think a once a year event is a good idea. Maybe alternate northern and southern locations with the closer members serving as hosts. Again - I'll create a separate post to discuss.
egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:50 am

So after a bunch of feedback on a couple different channels here's where I am:

1. We're a diverse group with a common love of Moto Guzzi but different ideas and preferences on how they like to ride.
2. Jobs, family, location and preferences make it very difficult to get together
3. Some of the more active members are part of other clubs which compounds the scheduling challenges

With all this in mind here's what I propose:

- Leave the club loose / organic and allow folks to join in where and when they're able. Let's NOT become a club with officers, mandatory meetings and dues. No guilt, no angst.

- Not have a scheduled/mandatory monthly meeting. It seems forced, would likely not have full participation and basically be a PITA for everyone.

- Schedule north and south monthly rides and folks can decide on which ones they want to do. I can take care of northern rides and one of the more southerly folks can do the same for that area. Any volunteers?

- Schedule a quarterly ride where everyone can get together at a common event. This could be other events like Gathering of the Nortons, etc.

- Look into holding an annual NJ rally that has cabin or nearby lodging to accommodate folks who don't have gear and/or just can't sleep on the ground. Open so suggestions about inviting neighboring states, etc but I think we keep it small to start.
egschade
egschade

Nick, Guzziboy66 and ff73148 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev M Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:26 am

I like everything about the above post except the divide and conquer thing - people are either gonna ride or not, I really don't think a half hour closer means anything. But I'll be happy if you can prove me wrong.

Kev M

egschade likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:53 am

Kev M wrote:I like everything about the above post except the divide and conquer thing - people are either gonna ride or not, I really don't think a half hour closer means anything. But I'll be happy if you can prove me wrong.

Thanks for the input Kev. Let's see what others have to say.
egschade
egschade

Nick, Kev M and Guzziboy66 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:23 am

egschade wrote:So after a bunch of feedback on a couple different channels here's where I am:

1. We're a diverse group with a common love of Moto Guzzi but different ideas and preferences on how they like to ride.
2. Jobs, family, location and preferences make it very difficult to get together
3. Some of the more active members are part of other clubs which compounds the scheduling challenges

- Leave the club loose / organic and allow folks to join in where and when they're able. Let's NOT become a club with officers, mandatory meetings and dues. No guilt, no angst.

- Not have a scheduled/mandatory monthly meeting. It seems forced, would likely not have full participation and basically be a PITA for everyone.

- Schedule north and south monthly rides and folks can decide on which ones they want to do. I can take care of northern rides and one of the more southerly folks can do the same for that area. Any volunteers?

- Schedule a quarterly ride where everyone can get together at a common event. This could be other events like Gathering of the Nortons, etc.

- Look into holding an annual NJ rally that has cabin or nearby lodging to accommodate folks who don't have gear and/or just can't sleep on the ground. Open so suggestions about inviting neighboring states, etc but I think we keep it small to start.

So, anyone else care to comment besides Eric, Cam, Kev and Harry?
egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:36 am

I agree with your proposal above
Nick
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by 9fingers Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:58 pm

Sounds like a good idea to me.
Scott

9fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by MADMIKE Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:40 pm

Cool
MADMIKE
MADMIKE

Back to top Go down

Post by ff73148 Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:27 pm

egschade wrote:So after a bunch of feedback on a couple different channels here's where I am:

Looks like a plan!
ff73148
ff73148

Back to top Go down

Post by mogu83 Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:23 pm

Rereading this, I wonder if it makes any sense to post rallies and events in the area.  I always thought that piggy backing onto a rally that someone else organized was a good idea for us because all we have to do is show up.   We did it once at a New Sweden rally (crappy location and it rained) and had people from other States show up.  The New England guys went to one of the Yankee Beemer rallies for a few years.   A few of us also went, although I usually go to that one anyway.
Right now there are only two GUZZI rallies in the area, the one by State College, PA and Keith Smith's rally in the Adirondacks.   Only a few from Jersey show up so I assume it's beyond the range for some.
What are peoples thoughts about an overnight in the Spring?  Saturday and Sunday or Friday to Sunday if that works.

If someone has a burning desire to visit something in the area on a motorcycle speak up.
mogu83
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:50 pm

As far as listing other events I think we already do that by listing events in that folder. As I look to organize quarterly rides I'll try to see where it does make sense to piggyback with other events (like Gathering of the Nortons).

I think folks are also OK with planning an MGNOC NJ rally. I'm thinking a single night to start and see where it goes from there. Scott in Lafayette probably knows of some good North Jersey places. We could also tap the Blakes for NE PA spots OR do something in South Jersey - maybe tying into a Millville event (AHRMA Vintage Motorcycle Festival & Swap Meet is June 21-23).
egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by ff73148 Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:46 pm

mogu83 wrote:Rereading this, I wonder if it makes any sense to post rallies and events in the area.  I always thought that piggy backing onto a rally that someone else organized was a good idea for us because all we have to do is show up.   We did it once at a New Sweden rally (crappy location and it rained) and had people from other States show up.  The New England guys went to one of the Yankee Beemer rallies for a few years.   A few of us also went, although I usually go to that one anyway.
Right now there are only two GUZZI rallies in the area, the one by State College, PA and Keith Smith's rally in the Adirondacks.   Only a few from Jersey show up so I assume it's beyond the range for some.
What are peoples thoughts about an overnight in the Spring?  Saturday and Sunday or Friday to Sunday if that works.

If someone has a burning desire to visit something in the area on a motorcycle speak up.

I agree with Harry. But I find this thread interesting as it refers to club rallies. I'm the NJ State Director for the Motorcycle Sport Touring Association (MSTA). This is a national club but we only have 13 members in NJ. So we keep it loose and call for pop up rides with members. But the club has around 24 rallies every year in various parts of the country. All members and guests are welcomed to either national/state rallies or Just For Fun rallies. I just registered for the June rally in Canaan Valley, WV. If anyone is interested check out [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and see if there is a rally you are interested in. I didn't mention the MSTA before because I didn't know if it was acceptable to talk about a different organization on the forum. We could attend any of these rallies as a group? Why not let someone else organize a rally and take advantage of it?
ff73148
ff73148

Mac likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mogu83 Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:04 pm

ff73148 wrote:
. I just registered for the June rally in Canaan Valley, WV. If anyone is interested check out [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and see if there is a rally you are interested in. I didn't mention the MSTA before because I didn't know if it was acceptable to talk about a different organization on the forum. We could attend any of these rallies as a group? Why not let someone else organize a rally and take advantage of it?
Canaan Valley is a good choice, I've been to three RA National rallies there.  Great things to see in the area, the roads are outstanding and its easy to find a nice way out there and back (after your out of new Jersey).  Hot trick is to get a cabin, never stayed in the lodge but the cabins are only a short walk to the lodge area. Did camping once it was a disaster, it was a long distance to the lodge and a hurricane hit.

As far as talking up other groups that someone might be interested in - I do it all the time and haven't been kicked off the site yet.  Smile
mogu83
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by ff73148 Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:09 am

mogu83 wrote:
ff73148 wrote:
. I just registered for the June rally in Canaan Valley, WV. If anyone is interested check out [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and see if there is a rally you are interested in. I didn't mention the MSTA before because I didn't know if it was acceptable to talk about a different organization on the forum. We could attend any of these rallies as a group? Why not let someone else organize a rally and take advantage of it?
Canaan Valley is a good choice, I've been to three RA National rallies there.  Great things to see in the area, the roads are outstanding and its easy to find a nice way out there and back (after your out of new Jersey).  Hot trick is to get a cabin, never stayed in the lodge but the cabins are only a short walk to the lodge area.   Did camping once it was a disaster, it was a long distance to the lodge and a hurricane hit.

As far as talking up other groups that someone might be interested in - I do it all the time and haven't been kicked off the site yet.  Smile

Harry, because the MSTA has held multiple rallies Canaan Valley they only charge us $99 a night for lodge rooms. The MSTA gets reduced rates for rooms at all their rallies. If any of the MGNOC members are interested in any of the MSTA rallies check out the web site or contact me. I'll post other MSTA rallies I will be attending.
ff73148
ff73148

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next