MGNOC of NJ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

R1200R retired (kind of)

+2
egschade
mogu83
6 posters

Go down

R1200R retired (kind of) Empty R1200R retired (kind of)

Post by mogu83 Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:02 am

My 2007 R1200R has been retired.   With 150,000 it's been in all the States (except Rhode Island), all the Maritime and boarder Provinces and coast to coast four times (I live just North of Atlantic City).   I had planned on selling it, but even though it's running perfectly (except the fuel gauge) with new tires and rebuilt Ohlins shocks the 150 K was a deal breaker unless I wanted to give it away for almost nothing.   Although it's been knocked down a few times it has never let me down and always brought me home.  The places I've seen and experiences I've had with those handlebars in my hands are a major part of my adult life.  So, I decided to give it a place in the garage and repurpose it.  All the touring stuff is gone, fairing, Corbin seat, TPMS, extra horns and lights, GPS, Skene rear lights, top case and stock bags.  On its initial trip to the local bike spot, the go-fast group gave it a lot of attention likely trying to figure out what it was.
traveling days:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Retirement:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]"" />" />

Last edited by mogu83 on Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
mogu83
mogu83

Mac and Kev M like this post

Back to top Go down

R1200R retired (kind of) Empty Re: R1200R retired (kind of)

Post by egschade Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:39 am

Perhaps trailer it up to Hamilin's on your next V85 service and take the ride over to RI to check that last box?
egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by MADMIKE Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:21 pm

Hey Harry- I made the same decision with the Harley. Original owner since 2004, I have been watching it sit in the back of the garage collecting dust while all the other bikes collect miles. I placed it for sale on craigslist but you can't shake a stick without hitting a Harley for Sale these days. With 102,000 miles, I was offered three thousand for the thing. All the other inquiries were questioning the mileage. Someone asked if it was a typo. I was going to use the funds for either an R100RT or even a 1000SP. Kinda prefer the frame mounted fairings so I was leaning towards the RT.
This past week I decided to turn the Harley into a "rafter bike". Not literally since it will pull several joists in an attempt to hang it but basically another word for retirement. "Throw it up in the rafters" a buddy advised.
I rode the bike to Annapolis MD this Friday (picture). Ran like a clock stripped of all tank bags and appendages it had acquired throughout the years. Just some rain gear and a tire repair kit. I'll ask the kids to help me hide the title so that I don't get the urge to sell again. For what the market is offering I'll gladly let it sit and collect dust. Kids are going to have one hell of a yard sale when the day comes.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
MADMIKE
MADMIKE

Back to top Go down

Post by mogu83 Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:58 pm

I have parts in the attic of my garage that are unobtainable, when 'the day comes' the kids will likely wonder what it is and trash it. I really should eBay some of it but I really hate doing the buy and sell dance.
mogu83
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:12 pm

At least tag the parts so someone will know what it is. I'm starting to clean out my father's 65 years of near hoarding and don't know what's trash and what's valuable...
egschade
egschade

Guzziboy66 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:34 am

Beautiful bikes gentlemen!!
Nick
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by Cam3512 Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:35 pm

mogu83 wrote:I have parts in the attic of my garage that are unobtainable, when 'the day comes' the kids will likely wonder what it is and trash it.   I really should eBay some of it but I really hate doing the buy and sell dance.

Or you can invite me to make the short drive up to your attic for a look around. No dance - Cash n carry!

Cam
Cam3512
Cam3512

Guzziboy66 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mac Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:00 pm

I see it differently. Even if you sell the bike cheap maybe someone would enjoy it as you have.It probably will never be a classic so too collect dust makes no sense to me.
But that's me.If I don't have a use for it ,it's gone .
Mac
Mac

Kev M likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mogu83 Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:40 pm

Mac wrote:I see it differently. Even if you sell the bike cheap maybe someone would enjoy it as you have.It probably will never be a classic so too collect dust makes no sense to me.
But that's me.If I don't have a use for it ,it's gone .
Trust me, it won't collect dust. I removed almost 100 pounds of stuff, it's amazing how much all those little relays, lights, horns, brackets, luggage racks, front fairing and big bags and top case weigh. It's a whole different bike, very responsive, easy to throw around, easy to get on and off and just fun. Definitely a spot in the garage that it fills.
mogu83
mogu83

Mac and Kev M like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum