MGNOC of NJ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I know what you did last Winter Part II

4 posters

Go down

I know what you did last Winter Part II Empty I know what you did last Winter Part II

Post by MADMIKE Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:57 am

So the Stelvios have this issue with their factory Sump Gaskets in where the factory used a very thin gasket between the block and spacer. The spacer has three oil passages with chamfered edges which make a thin gasket have even less clamping force then it already has. Problem occurs when the gasket lets loose and now the oil pump is sucking air. Oil pressure drops, and the first thing to suffer is the valve train. Hopefully it makes plenty of noise and trips a light on the dash informing the rider that something is up. Worst case is that it sucks air for many miles with low oil pressure producing an unhappy motor.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Removing the lower pan reveals some serious plumbing:
Several hex bolts and all of this comes off as one piece-
looking up the business end of things: a Cathedral of Power!
While removing the pan and the valve covers for service, I found these two pieces floating around. One under the left hand valve cover and one in the pan. Looked through the schematics and asked around. Could not find where this washer came from or why it was floating around in the engine. Just going to forget about this and HOPE for the best. Old mechanic trick!

Happily my thin gasket was intact. Replaced with thicker gasket, put everything back together along with fresh oil, filter, and valve adjust. Rode- checked for leaks and ready for many more miles. Good Times!
MADMIKE
MADMIKE

Back to top Go down

I know what you did last Winter Part II Empty Re: I know what you did last Winter Part II

Post by egschade Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:21 pm

Well done! Could that be a drain plug crush gasket that stuck to the pan and was pushed into the sump when the plug was re-installed?
egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

I know what you did last Winter Part II Empty Re: I know what you did last Winter Part II

Post by BigRagu Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:27 pm

Thanks for the post Mike, was really interesting, and I appreciate the humor. Been a shade tree mechanic just about all my life, trained at an early age by my dad. . Now a days, I tend to loose my train of thought and find my self checking my days work after waking in the middle of the night! Once I put an intake manifold gasket on backwards on a tr7, filled it back up with anti freeze, only to have it leak out as I poured! Still love though doing my own work. Looking forward to next winter.....

BigRagu

Back to top Go down

Post by Mac Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:17 pm

Looks like this,maybe check with Luigi!

CYLINDER HEAD COVER GASKET[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Mac
Mac

Back to top Go down

Post by MADMIKE Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:30 pm

Negative on the crush washer or valve cover theory- This thing was circular with little bite marks taken out at the 2, 6 and 10 position. Strange looking washer.
MADMIKE
MADMIKE

Back to top Go down

Post by Mac Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:00 pm

MADMIKE wrote:Negative on the crush washer or valve cover theory- This thing was circular with little bite marks taken out at the 2, 6 and 10 position. Strange looking washer.
Maybe the Canadians put it in there! Twisted Evil
Mac
Mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down