MGNOC of NJ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

V7III Stone - with painted sidecovers/fender - Eric

+3
Mac
egschade
Kev M
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

V7III Stone - with painted sidecovers/fender - Eric - Page 2 Empty Re: V7III Stone - with painted sidecovers/fender - Eric

Post by Kev M Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:51 pm

What's the material on that fender?

I ask because the aluminum and carbon fiber ones have an exposed tubular subframe. Maybe it's the weight of the standard tail light and then signals.

But that fender is much abrevieted and there's no visible reinforcement. So it's:

* Stronger.
* Reinforcement is hidden
And/or
* the tail light assembly is much lighter

I'm curious.

Kev M

Back to top Go down

V7III Stone - with painted sidecovers/fender - Eric - Page 2 Empty Re: V7III Stone - with painted sidecovers/fender - Eric

Post by egschade Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:50 pm

Kev M wrote:What's the material on that fender?

I ask because the aluminum and carbon fiber ones have an exposed tubular subframe. Maybe it's the weight of the standard tail light and then signals.

But that fender is much abrevieted and there's no visible reinforcement. So it's:

* Stronger.
* Reinforcement is hidden
And/or
* the tail light assembly is much lighter

I'm curious.

The correct answer is #2. I looked at the parts list and there is a reinforcement under the fender which looks a lot like the std one. It's possible that the tail light is lighter too.
egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev M Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:33 am

Perfect, then the fender surgery may be no problem (other than actually doing it).

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:48 am

It being a plastic fender I'm reluctant to use any high speed tools as it may melt or warp things. I'm inclined to use a saber saw with a metal blade.
egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev M Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:53 am

egschade wrote:It being a plastic fender I'm reluctant to use any high speed tools as it may melt or warp things. I'm inclined to use a saber saw with a metal blade.

I've cut down Lexan or similar windshields using a jigsaw and a plastic blade. Worked pretty well. Lightly sanded edge afterwards.

Maybe mark up fender, then make a few test cuts in shallow parts of what will be discarded anyway.

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:49 am

This looks like a good starting point for my cut line. Now I need to see if the inner brace will interfere. That's the 2019 Night Pack on the right.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by mogu83 Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:02 am

You may already know this but:  cover entire area with masking tape, draw cut on tape.  
I also use a jigsaw, with plastic blade, don't push the saw through the work let the blade do its job.  Push too hard and things start to melt. 
This was on plastic type windshields. 

I did a fiberglass type fender and again udes a jigsaw with a very fine blade 24 T

Don't forget the old adage: Measure twice, cut once.   Very Happy
mogu83
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:11 pm

Finally had the time today to trim the rear fender and install the small luggage rack. Hard to tell inside the garage. I'll post up a better picture once I get the bike outside.

egschade
egschade

Nick, mogu83 and Kev M like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:05 pm

Here's a couple better pictures from my ride today:

egschade
egschade

Nick and Kev M like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:17 am

That is a "clean" looking bike!!

BTW.....that Eagle on the side panel is looking/flying..... backwards Wink
Nick
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:31 am

Tank eagle is looking to see where I'm going, side panel where I've been!

Actually I never noticed that before - now it's going to bug me. Thanks...
egschade
egschade

Nick likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:06 am

egschade wrote:.....now it's going to bug me....

And don't curse me out much in the process...... Laughing
Nick
Nick

Kev M likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev M Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:07 am

Nick wrote:That is a "clean" looking bike!!

BTW.....that Eagle on the side panel is looking/flying..... backwards Wink

I probably wouldn't have noticed, but now that you say it I kinda like it. It makes it look like the Eagles are scattering, like the cops just rolled up.

Kev M

Nick likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:34 pm

Just ordered a couple more sicker sets from Italy. Been thinking the eagles are a little too big anyway...
egschade
egschade

Nick likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:45 am

Thinking about the tank and some update options. Thinking about putting a little sating black wrap on the tank and maybe some pinstripe around it. Here are a couple options I'm considering. Leaning towards the bottom right version...

This was my inspiration

egschade
egschade

Nick likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev M Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:01 am

I see where you're trying to go with it, and why you would need that gap between the black and the stripe, but I'm not sure that I like the gap visually.

What if, like on the Green OEM piece, you made the stripe and the decal the same color, and eliminated the gap between the stripe and the black?!?

Kev M

Nick likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev M Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:24 am

Forgive the quick-rough Photo-Chop.

I used silver, but really as long as the decal, stripe, and lettering all match it would be fine.

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:49 am

You're a step ahead of me. Since I'll be using wrap and tape pinstripe it can be an iterative process.

egschade
egschade

Kev M likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mogu83 Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:21 pm

I guess your open to opinion.
The straight lines and hard angles don't match the lines of the tank.
The example you show doesn't have the hard angles.
IMHO - on a street motorcycle the lines are all about flow front to back and those angles break it up.
mogu83
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:44 pm

You're right Harry. The concept is done with straight lines 'cause I'm too lazy to make it perfect and that results in the sharp corners. I'd follow the tank contours as shown in the factory photo.
egschade
egschade

Kev M likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev M Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:45 pm

mogu83 wrote:I guess your open to opinion.
The straight lines and hard angles don't match the lines of the tank.
The example you show doesn't have the hard angles.
IMHO - on a street motorcycle the lines are all about flow front to back and those angles break it up.

I assumed whatever he did would better match the flowing lines of real pinstripes and not the hard angles which were a result of simplified Photoshopping.

I think he and I wanted to get a rough idea of what it would look like without taking the extra time we would need to make those lines rounded-off.

EDIT - posting at the same time as Eric. But said the same thing.

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:50 pm

Just 'cause you asked Harry  Smile

egschade
egschade

Nick, mogu83 and Kev M like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:10 pm

Here are a couple other, sticker only possibilities...

egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2