MGNOC of NJ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ECU maps? For V7III Special

3 posters

Go down

ECU maps? For V7III Special Empty ECU maps? For V7III Special

Post by 9fingers Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:36 am

Being new here and with my first Motto Guzzi, can someone explain the ECU maps options to me? I know I can buy the one from Todd at GTM, for $500, which seems like a lot but if that is what I should get then I will get.
I have the Agostini pipes and I have the SAS mod that reduces plumbing behind the heads and probably will install that today. I think it replaces the venting into the air box but am not sure. Todd told me I need it and I bought it. I will also do the evap removal one of these days (purely for road racing of course...... ). I think that will be it for mods...except for Matris shocks eventually. I have seen mention of someone named "Beetle" who has maps? Can you guys give me some guidance on this? Also, while I am at it, by the time I had 600 miles on my bike, back in January, the right side header was getting quite purple while the left was very light brownish....WAY different. At 600 miles I did the valves and they were so tight it was absurd. .0015 intake both intakes and .003 exhaust on the light brown side and .002 on the purple side. I set them to Todd specs and believe I have stopped further discoloration. I will polish out the purple a bit more today and make sure I am good. But my point in mentioning this is I want that ECU map change to stop the lean condition leading to the quick discoloration. Thanks in advance,
Scott

9fingers

Back to top Go down

ECU maps? For V7III Special Empty Re: ECU maps? For V7III Special

Post by egschade Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:12 am

If you're really particular you can start down the ECU mapping road but be aware of diminishing returns. I thought about it with my V7 III and talked to Beetle (an expert) about a map for the MIVV slip-ons I installed. He asked how the bike was running and I said 'great'. His response was, 'If it's running great don't mess with the mapping.' I feel these engines don't really loosen up for the first 1K miles and as that happened, I was happy to leave it alone.

My pipes were black so no discoloration. It's possible the tight valves contributed to a too-hot situation more than the OEM map. Where did you buy the bike? Would be worth seeing if you have the most current factory map. If you want to talk to an expert call Jim Hamlin in CT. If you're not familiar he's a 100% Guzzi dealer who knows these bikes inside and out. Many of us on this forum (including me) use him.

My suggestion is ride the bike and get it broken in. Try an aftermarket muffler if you like but give the ECU enough time to adjust. Todd is a good guy who's in the business of selling stuff. If you want to chase the 'perfect' fueling he'll be more than happy help but as you see, it won't be cheap.

The other thing to keep in mind is that this new administration is pushing all sorts of environmental bills and I wouldn't be surprised to see motorcycle emissions testing or a OEM-only exhaust mandate in the future. If that happens you'd have to undo all the mods Todd advocates.
egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by 9fingers Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:30 am

Thanks Eric, as of yesterday I have about 1,500 miles and I THINK it is running fine, but it does have a....stumble....around 3,000rpm, that bothers me. I just want it to be as good as it can be. I spent about $1,000 for pipe, custom cams (my buddy didn't charge me for them), a PCV and AT200 and diff air box set up, on my Royal Enfield 500, all for an extra 6hp...which it needed. I want it the best it can be. I bought from Blackmans, out in Emmaus, as they were open on Cyber Monday and it was the last day of the Guzzi promo, though another one started up just after. One of the sales guys is quite knowledgeable and he told me his prime mechanic rides a Guzzi. I guess they don't check the valves at the dealership. But he did call Piaggio and they had no clue what the issue could be. The guys on Guzzi Tech told me to check the valves immediately so I did. I will check out Hamlin and give him a visit next time I go up for some Frank Peppes pizza. If NJ changes the emission laws I will have to move to Slambovia.....Thanks,
Scott

9fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by 9fingers Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:05 am

Just found out Hamlin's is very near one of my Frank Pepe pizza locations in Danbury.........I know who I am visiting this Summer!
Scott

9fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev M Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:57 am

Todd is a bit of a shuckster who resells the Rexxer ECU reflash and though it works I'm told it's crude by some who have looked at the mapping that I trust. Personally I don't like the way he discourages (forbids) talk about competitive products on his website so although I've been and would be a customer again I avoid him if someone else has the same or similar product.

Mark (Beetle) is part of the team who jailbroke the Guzzi ECUs and published shareware (GizziDiag and the map wiring tool) for us to use on our bikes. He then painstaking developed maps for many models, charges a pittance for them (used to let people download and try them and then decide if they wanted to contribute the mere $100 he was asking because he has confidence in his work), and is willing to work with you too tweak it as needed.

Really there's no comparison.

That said I find remaps generally unnecessary and I'm running stock ECUs and mapping and exhausts (and EVAP systems and SAS when applicable) on all four of our bikes right now.

Anyone who says you "must" change these things is lying or dumb. You MAY see some benefits to changing the mapping to get rid of the unintended consequences of emissions standards, more so if you change the exhaust or intake, but you don't "have" to.

Peace out

Kev M

mogu83 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 9fingers Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:19 pm

OK, I am convinced........how do I get ahold of this "Beetle"?
Thanks,
Scott

9fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:01 pm

You should be able to reach him through Wildgoose Chase. If not go to Griso Ghetto.
egschade
egschade

Guzziboy66 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev M Sun May 02, 2021 10:56 am

egschade wrote:You should be able to reach him through Wildgoose Chase. If not go to Griso Ghetto.

He's not a member of WG anymore (like so many that have been driven away by the Mod BS).

I hear Griso Ghetto is the place, though I HAVE seen him on ADV Rider (though I also forget what he goes by there).

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down