MGNOC of NJ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

V7III Stone - with painted sidecovers/fender - Eric

+3
Mac
egschade
Kev M
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

V7III Stone - with painted sidecovers/fender - Eric Empty V7III Stone - with painted sidecovers/fender - Eric

Post by Kev M Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:02 am

Cross posted at WG - but wanted to make sure Eric saw this. I think his bike is gonna look great with the additional color!

If I were to get a V7III I think I'd get the blue and do the same thing (paint the fenders and sidecovers to match).

Eric,

So we were talking on Sunday about what you want to do paint wise, matching the fenders and sidecovers to the tank.

Here are a couple of quick Photo-Chops I just made from the pic you posted earlier.

One with the sidecover more like on the Specials, and one with the sidecover the way I think you described it.

It's a quick job so the color match isn't perfect, but I hope it gives you the idea. I think they both look pretty good. I wasn't sold on your idea until I saw it, but now it makes sense:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Kev M

Back to top Go down

V7III Stone - with painted sidecovers/fender - Eric Empty Re: V7III Stone - with painted sidecovers/fender - Eric

Post by egschade Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:29 pm

Well would you look at that! Thanks Kev.

Fender will look great painted. I thought the lower rendering is what I wanted but the upper one is better and is how the Specials are painted. Curious to see how it would look with the entire side cover painted? I also see Guzzi leaves the rear fender black...

egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

V7III Stone - with painted sidecovers/fender - Eric Empty Re: V7III Stone - with painted sidecovers/fender - Eric

Post by egschade Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:37 pm

Here are two V7 customs that provided some inspiration:

egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev M Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:29 pm

We'll, I'm happy to try and give you one with the whole cover painted when I hit my desk tomorrow.

But if I might, I think those customs are a bridge too far and I think you might have been really onto something with your plan to only do the lower and front portions of the sidecovers. That might really be the best concept yet.

I showed them to Jenn tonight and she agreed, and other than marrying me she normally has great taste. alien

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by Mac Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:17 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
I would also paint the rear fender like this V9.IMHO
Mac
Mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev M Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:26 pm

Yeah that's his plan. Which was why I was carrying an extra rear fender with me Sunday lol. It just literally wasn't visible in the photo for me to shop.

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:12 pm

here's an OEM photo that might be easier to work with. Re: the rear fender, I'm not sure if that would be too much yellow - I should learn how to photoshop to play around with the different combinations.

egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev M Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:20 pm

I can do that tomorrow if I get a chance. But I have to start over.

The technique is pretty simple. Zoom in real close, draw lines around the object you want to change (I use the polygonal line tool), then use the color balance tool to change highlights, midtones, and shadows until you get the desired color match. Note the settings, repeat for each individual part or contiguous parts you want the same color.

Easy peasy.

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:30 pm

Thanks for the instruction - will give it a try!
egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev M Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:42 am

OK, here come 2 studies in Yellow (with variations of what other than the tank is painted - fenders, sidecovers, and how the covers are done):

First Eric's actual bike:

Stock:

Sidecovers like the Special:

Sidecovers in negative of Special

Sidecovers full:

From this angle I still think I prefer the sidecovers in negative from the special scheme, but the full doesn't look to bad.

Next study will be the factory side-shot so we can see the rear fender in Yellow, and that changes things for me slightly.

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev M Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:54 am

The Factory Side-Shot so we can see the rear fender. I apologize in advance, I was rushing this morning and didn't get the paint as close as I did yesterday. The lighting on Eric's bike vs. the studio shot made the former easier and I just ASSumed the same settings would work. By the time I started playing with the settings it was too late and I wasn't going back to redo it. But it should give the overall impression well enough (I hope).

First Stock:

Next JUST the Fenders:

Now Fenders and Sidecovers in pattern of Special:

Now Fenders and Sidecovers in negative of Special:

Now the full monty:

Well, I THINK seeing the rear fender with the full sidecovers painted is a bit too much for me and though I liked it with the 3/4 shot (or it might not be bad with say HB bags installed), I don't like it from the side with no bags!

If it were me I think I'd go with Eric's awesome original idea and do the sidecovers in negative of what the Special gets. That solid black panel helps with extra contrast between the tank and the rest of the sidecover. It accentuates that horizontal line that's parallel to the tank and frame. But still adds that splash of color on the vertical and angular surfaces. Man now I want a Blue Stone to do all this to IRL!

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by Mac Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:47 pm

Kev M wrote: That solid black panel helps with extra contrast between the tank and the rest of the sidecover. It accentuates that horizontal line that's parallel to the tank and frame. But still adds that splash of color on the vertical and angular surfaces. Man now I want a Blue Stone to do all this to IRL!

I thought you were a writer, starting to sound like a interior decorator. LOL
Mac
Mac

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:44 pm

After seeing these renderings (thanks again Kev!) I'm pretty set now on going with plan A - front fender and negative scheme of the Special for the side covers. The rear fender is going to be too much yellow with the side covers.

I talked to the local body shop today and he said it'd be close to $200 to make a quart of satin paint that "should match up pretty well but no guarantee". Was not interested in actually painting the fender and covers himself.

I'll try a couple different body shops and maybe look into vinyl wrap as an alternative to painting. Plan B is the black side covers and both fenders yellow which would be easier to wrap if that's an option.
egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:25 am

Dusting off this paint scheme thread. Came across this custom and am digging the execution but not the color. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Also like the 2:2 pipes
egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:32 am

I like the Stornello-ish look, but damn, that from fender is small to non-existent
Nick
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev M Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:35 am

Big surprise - I love the color. jocolor

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by Mac Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:06 pm

Looks like Ford GT Gulf blue color scheme.
Mac
Mac

Back to top Go down

Post by mogu83 Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:18 pm

I like the rear fender painted.  When the eye looks at the bike the front fender starts it, then it continues back to the tank, but when it gets past the seat nothing.  For the same reason I like just the top part or the side cover painted, keeps the line going front to back.
just sayin. 

I did this to a CB550, and thought it would be too much yellow but it turned out OK.
School bus yellow and I shot a coat of clear over it.

Back end of my bike is back together, now the fork seals.
mogu83
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:45 pm

If you're doing a respray then this looks kinda cool

egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:48 pm

Maybe skip the V7 and do a V9 tracker instead. This thing is Bitchin!:
egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by RandomGRK Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:21 pm

I’m looking to have my tank painted when all this madness ends. My inspiration is this V9.

Anyone know anyone in SJ who could do a good job?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

RandomGRK

Back to top Go down

Post by Cam3512 Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:52 am

I've used this guy to custom paint some parts.  They're out your way, and specialize in motorcycles.

X-treme Dimensions

1319 N. Blackhorse Pike (168)
Blackwood, NJ  08012

Joe Zettlemoyer
Cell: 856-740-5020

Cam

Last edited by Cam3512 on Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Cam3512
Cam3512

Back to top Go down

Post by RandomGRK Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:31 am

Thanks Cam. I’ll look into them.

RandomGRK

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:11 pm

The Night Pack model introduced a new rear treatment to the mk3 line. It's just the look I'm after Full retail on the fender is over $300 so unless one pops up on eBay, I'll use this as a template for some fender surgery.

egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by mogu83 Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:37 pm

I really don't get the unpainted rear fender.  What's the deal is there a discount for 3/4 of a paint job.
mogu83
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next