MGNOC of NJ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cheap Stornellos

+3
mogu83
egschade
Mac
7 posters

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Cheap Stornellos Empty Cheap Stornellos

Post by egschade Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:31 pm

With the cold temps and me home with this terrible virus going around I took to surfing the web. Came across this place that has NINE Stornellos for sale at a great price (with incentives): [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I've often thought of the difference between a small and big block Guzzi. Love the tractor grunt of the Griso but riding the Monza earlier in the year was a revelation. If the numbers are as good as they appear it may be worth a trip to MD to work a deal.

All you newer V7 owners, how would you rate the bike as a daily (short) commuter and weekend steed?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Cheap Stornellos Empty Re: Cheap Stornellos

Post by Kev M Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:35 am

I'm extremely fond of my V7.

The lightness and overall feel are exactly what I was looking for in that type of bike.

I think it would excel as a commuter and local ride bike, even though I don't hesitate to get on it for longer trips.

About the only things I think it doesn't do well is extended highway or 2-up

It's not even the moderate power level that really hurts it for either (maybe a little for 2-up if the riders are any real size), but it's the light weight and cheaper suspension that make it less than ideal for those conditions.

Though I can still happily use it for either of we're not talking all day riding.

Fwiw the Stornellos seem improved in a number of ways as well.

Last edited by Kev M on Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by Mac Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:58 am

egschade wrote:With the cold temps and me home with this terrible virus going around I took to surfing the web. Came across this place that has NINE Stornellos for sale at a great price (with incentives): [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I've often thought of the difference between a small and big block Guzzi. Love the tractor grunt of the Griso but riding the Monza earlier in the year was a revelation. If the numbers are as good as they appear it may be worth a trip to MD to work a deal.

All you newer V7 owners, how would you rate the bike as a daily (short) commuter and weekend steed?

Are you replacing the Griso or is this an addition?
Mac
Mac

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:15 am

Mac wrote:Are you replacing the Griso or is this an addition?

As much as I would like to have both I can only afford one. This would have to be a trade in or sell-first deal.
egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by mogu83 Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:19 am

I wonder how robust, and how maintenance intensive this series of Guzzis are.  I haven't hidden my dislike for that small block. maybe basing it on the older small blocks and their lack of being able to take a beating like the big engines.
Do they require the constant mapping remapping and un-mapping of the ECM that seems to be epidemic in the big bikes,or do they run OK out of the box.
I see it as an around town bike or a go to local club stuff like lunches and breakfasts.  Basically why the Sportster is in my garage.
mogu83
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:02 pm

Eric,
here is what "you" need:

1. A bigger shed/garage
2. Keep the Griso.
3. Buy a 2017 Moto Guzzi V7-III Stone. (I like it better than the Stornello).
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Thanks for allowing me to spend your money! Wink
Nick
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev M Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:19 pm

Harry, I can't speak to the smallblock problems of decades ago, but all indications are that since the time of the Breva 750 forward through the various iterations of the V7 they are robust bikes with some owners on WG racking up more than 100k miles with no significant issues. I think the high I've heard so far on a 2013 1TB V7 Stone like mine is only 60k so far and still going strong.

I've only got a little below 15k on mine, but that's because I have better tools in the box for longer rides and can only put so many miles a year on each bike with a young family at home.

But I would liken them to a modern airhead like a modernized version of an R75 or R80.

With the possible exception of them being a little cold blooded on initial startup of a cold motor the mapping is fine. As a matter of fact I've not bothered to remap, nor do I believe has Cam or my little bro Jay on either of his (he liked them so much he has two). Though if one wanted to the software is free and you can get a semi-custom map from the software developer for $100.

Eric, as much as I love my smallblock, I'm not sure I would have it as my only bike. And I suspect after a Griso if it was the ONLY bike in the fleet you might miss that punch once in a while.

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:24 am

The more I read about the newer V7's the more I'm leaning towards the latest III version. It's essentially a completely new design and one review after the other say it's a big improvement on the II with better handling, more power - a total upgrade. The same MD dealer who is blowing out the Stornellos is selling the V7 III Stone at the same price - $6999. I'm finding the yellow the most attractive of the lot (also black, blue and green). Guzzi is still running the zero down, zero interest for 36 mo too. A deal will depend on the trade value of my Griso.
egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev M Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:10 am

egschade wrote:The more I read about the newer V7's the more I'm leaning towards the latest III version. It's essentially a completely new design and one review after the other say it's a big improvement on the II with better handling, more power - a total upgrade. The same MD dealer who is blowing out the Stornellos is selling the V7 III Stone at the same price - $6999. I'm finding the yellow the most attractive of the lot (also black, blue and green). Guzzi is still running the zero down, zero interest for 36 mo too. A deal will depend on the trade value of my Griso.

There's a lot to like about the Stones and the III does sound like a nice package. The new Hemi heads seem to add some punch and overall I like the cosmetics of things like the double-walled pipes. The Stornello is a little dirt biased by looks and tires and a few design points for my tastes but it is a gorgeous bike.

I don't think you can go wrong either way, unless you start lamenting the lack of punch... Again, I don't, I REALLY don't...but I can see where some would.

I think I've mentioned before about how after moving here I found myself riding my 100 rwhp Buell ST3 less and less, and thinking more and more that I'd rather be on my V7 when I WAS riding the Buell. It was a neat bike, but I don't miss it from the power standpoint. Though I do get a kick out of rolling on the Harleys now and again, I could live without that feeling too.

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:25 am

Kev - I keep thinking back to how much fun I had riding that old V50 around PA which makes all of what, 35 HP? I'm probably at the point in my riding now where a big block doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It's still a rush to crank open the throttle on the Griso but I really don't ride that way anymore. I get your point too - the "it's more fun to ride a slower bike fast than a faster bike slow" adage.

Anyone interested in my Griso?
egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev M Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:49 am

Eric, I totally hear ya!

Good luck whatever you decide.

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by mogu83 Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:15 am

Different tools for different jobs.  I wouldn't enjoy a 650cc on an extended camping trip out West where the traffic moves at 80+MPH in a lot of places and your packed down with gear, just as a liter plus heavy cruiser can become kind of a chore pushing it through the mountains or exploring a dirt road.  Something like my R will kind of get you in the middle, but it's still a trade off.
You wouldn't use a trim hammer to break up concrete or a 15lb sledge to drive in wire brads, but their both hammers.
Eventually you come to the only LOGICAL conclusion.  A person really NEEDS more than one bike.
Trying to do it all with only one will cause psychological depression.

Naturally IMHO

mogu83
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:32 am

mogu83 wrote:Different tools for different jobs.

Can't agree with you more. The thing that's changing is the job my only motorcycle needs to perform. My back issue is now really limiting my saddle time. I rarely take rides of more than 2 hours as they become too painful to enjoy. My needs are shifting to a casual rider / run about for shorter rides and commuting. To borrow your hammer metaphor, I'm now into finish carpentry rather than home building so that finish nailer is probably all I really need. Sure, there's real satisfaction bringing out the sledge and smashing something, but I rarely do that and would probably hurt my back in the process.

As Dirty Harry said in Magnum Force, "A good man always knows his limitations" and this bad back have changed mine.
egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev M Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:40 am

I hear ya... I REALLY don't "NEED" the Road King I bought last year in the fleet right now (or for the foreseeable future). With the little kids at home I'm lucky to take one or two bike trips a year of any distance and we really ride 2-up except with the kids.

I could easily get by with just my V7 and/or Sporty (though the Sporty is better for the occasional longer distance or 2-up).

Still it's nice to have options if you can. If you don't need em, then you just plain don't need em.

And I do get a perverse pleasure in doing more with less. Be it a camping trip on a V7 or laughing at the 50-55 mpg or the 250+ mile range in that tank... all good stuff, all good stuff.

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by mogu83 Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:58 am

I would try to get an extended test ride before you change rides if your back is the issue.  Some times a light bike can bounce around more and because the frame is smaller the ergonomics required to fit the smaller frame can put increased pressure on your back. I've found that even very minute changes in the handlebars or/and foot pegs can make a huge difference in comfort. Moving my handlebars up an inch and back an inch made a world of difference.  A seat moving my butt back an inch also helped (changes the angle of your knees).  I've never moved the foot pegs but just dropping them an inch makes a big difference in the angle of your knees.
Most of this hardware can be bought used in perfect condition greatly reduced from list price.
A reason I can still pound down thousand mile days (at my advanced age) is I spent some time and a little money making my bike fit ME.
Keep the big bike (make it yours) and play with the V50 - IMHO
mogu83
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by Mac Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:33 pm

I was thinking about getting a bigger bike.Maybe a Boss Hoss! Laughing[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Mac
Mac

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:49 pm

Mac wrote:I was thinking about getting a bigger bike.Maybe a Boss Hoss! Laughing[url=https://servimg.com/view/19706081/6

With a foot-clutch no less - you sir, are a man among men!

See you at the chiropractor...
egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by Mac Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:04 pm

egschade wrote:
Mac wrote:I was thinking about getting a bigger bike.Maybe a Boss Hoss! Laughing[url=https://servimg.com/view/19706081/6

With a foot-clutch no less - you sir, are a man among men!

See you at the chiropractor...
Didn't notice the foot clutch,I just like the ten cylinder engine.You know because six cylinders is never enough. Shocked
Mac
Mac

Back to top Go down

Post by mogu83 Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:25 pm

seems reasonable
Might be an automatic.
mogu83
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:56 am

The dealer w/ the cheap prices offered $3800 on trade for my Griso - that's not going to work. Will look to sell it myself.

Still waiting to hear from Eurosport and Wayne MG on trade values...
egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev M Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:20 am

egschade wrote:The dealer w/ the cheap prices offered $3800 on trade for my Griso - that's not going to work. Will look to sell it myself.

Still waiting to hear from Eurosport and Wayne MG on trade values...

I can't imagine a motorcycle dealer ever making a decent trade offer. I don't even think I've ever heard a good number from a Harley dealer back in the day when they were selling themselves.

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:25 pm

Eric,
the KBB trade-in value for your bike is $5,750. The dealer should be offering you a pre-bargaining figure of $4,500/5,000, and then try to sell it at retail for $7,500/8,000, again according to KBB. If he is selling you the new bike at a considerable discount (as in your case), he'll want to try to make it back on the tail end (your trade-in). Keep in mind that the 8V bikes (at least the pre-2013 ones) will be selling for less and the prospective buyers will be a little tentative due to that recalled valve-train fuck-up affraid

Good luck!
Nick
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:55 pm

Nick wrote:Eric,
the KBB trade-in value for your bike is $5,750. The dealer should be offering you a pre-bargaining figure of $4,500/5,000, and then try to sell it at retail for $7,500/8,000, again according to KBB. If he is selling you the new bike at a considerable discount (as in your case), he'll want to try to make it back on the tail end (your trade-in). Keep in mind that the 8V bikes (at least the pre-2013 ones) will be selling for less and the prospective buyers will be a little tentative due to that recalled valve-train fuck-up affraid

Good luck!

That's what I figured with their low-ball offer. The sad thing with the valve train issues is that Piaggio never did do a recall. They will work with a dealer on dealer installed roller kits (free parts) but never admitted it is a problem. Fortunately my bike is a factory roller which can be documented by SN and photos.
egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev M Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:35 pm

KBB means JACK on Guzzis.... Way too small a market.

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:17 pm

Kev M wrote:KBB means JACK on Guzzis.... Way too small a market.
Your opinion.
I still use it as a barometer to refer back to.
Nick
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum