Cheap Stornellos

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Re: Cheap Stornellos

Post by Kev M on Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:39 pm

My only caution on the Stelvio is that if you had any hesitance about the weight of the Griso the Stelvio would likely feel a little heavier.

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade on Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:54 pm

Kev M wrote:My only caution on the Stelvio is that if you had any hesitance about the weight of the Griso the Stelvio would likely feel a little heavier.

I had a chance to ride a Stelvio and know what you mean about the weight. With the panniers, top trunk and 8.5 gal tank full it IS more top heavy. Might be a reasonable trade off though to get the 1200 motor in a more back-friendly riding position. Will hold off until I get to test ride the V7 III. Wondering if I will find it too cramped or miss the loss of 50 HP.
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev M on Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:17 am

Either is possible. But neither might show up in a test ride if you know what I mean.

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade on Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:20 am

Kev M wrote:Either is possible. But neither might show up in a test ride if you know what I mean.

I hear ya. There are tons of options and great deals to be had this time of year. Suppose that's a good problem to have...
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick on Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:56 am

egschade wrote:

If I stick with the 2-bike plan then here's another contender that would be far more reliable than an 850 and nearby in Staten Island
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Eric,
didn't you have an '03 EV and sold it? Isn't this pretty similar? Actually the EV was much better. Yeah I know, I'm biased Wink
Nick
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by mogu83 on Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:07 am

Eric - A word of advise as it seems your heading down the road to insanity.

Drop back and prepare to punt.

. Sit down with an adult beverage and give some thought to what you want to do with a motorcycle in the next few years.
Long distance touring,weekend trips, day trips, commuting
write it down

. Decide what features a machine needs to fit those needs.
weight, tank size, saddle bags, fairing. dependability, looks, availability of a competent dealer

. Decide a price range.
new,used

. Look only at bikes that fit those needs and price range.

I've been where you are, and the longer you look the further away from what you need - you get.
When I bought the R1200R I accumulated the money to buy that bike, and then the crazies set in, I drifted to Guzzi, Triumph even a Road King before I went back to what I wanted in the first place.  The Beemer is undoubtedly the best bike I've owned because it perfectly fits the purpose it was purchased for.  Even then I had to put a few grand into it to make it mine.

Just sayin
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev M on Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:31 am

mogu83 wrote:Eric - A word of advise as it seems your heading down the road to insanity.

Drop back and prepare to punt.

. Sit down with an adult beverage and give some thought to what you want to do with a motorcycle in the next few years.
Long distance touring,weekend trips, day trips, commuting
write it down

. Decide what features a machine needs to fit those needs.
weight, tank size, saddle bags, fairing. dependability, looks, availability of a competent dealer

. Decide a price range.
new,used

. Look only at bikes that fit those needs and price range.

I've been where you are, and the longer you look the further away from what you need - you get.
When I bought the R1200R I accumulated the money to buy that bike, and then the crazies set in, I drifted to Guzzi, Triumph even a Road King before I went back to what I wanted in the first place.  The Beemer is undoubtedly the best bike I've owned because it perfectly fits the purpose it was purchased for.  Even then I had to put a few grand into it to make it mine.

Just sayin

I think Harry has it right here... though the large red emphasis (I added) suggests that you MIGHT have already done much of this if I'm understanding your original posts right.

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev M on Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:14 am

So how does Cleaveland Moto's end-of-year sale stack up against Wayne's prices?

Maybe there's some way to use one to help negotiate with the other:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

016 Moto Guzzi ElDorado 1400 MSRP $16490 SALE PRICE $15000
(Moto Guzzi advertised discount $1000, we're giving you $490 more! -  YOU SAVE $1490)  

2016 Moto Guzzi Audace 1400  -  MSRP $16,390   SALE PRICE $14,900 (Moto Guzzi $1000 discount + we give you $490 more You Save $1490)

2017 Moto Guzzi V7 Special (Blue Only) Regular MSRP $8990 Sale price $8150  (Save $850)

Moto Guzzi V9 Bobber MSRP $10490 - SALE PRICE $9000 You save $1490!

Moto Guzzi V9 Roamer (available in Gold or White) Regular MSRP $9990  Sale Price $8500 You Save $1490!

MGX-21 Flying Fortress 1400 Bagger - Regular MSRP $21,990 - Sale Price $19,900 You Save $2000!

2017 Moto Guzzi V7 Mk3 Stone (Your choice of Black, Green, Blue or Yellow) MSRP $7990 Sale Price $7150 (You Save $840)

2017 Moto Guzzi California Touring 1400 (your choice of Black or Red) MSRP $18,490 - Sale Price $17,490 (You Save $1000)

2015 V7 Stone    MK1     MSRP:$8490      SALE PRICE: $7760

013 V7 RACER Mk1 - 1201 Original Miles - Full Factory Warranty - BRAND NEW - $9000
Comes accesorized as you see it for and Additional $1000

Moto Guzzi V7 Stone Mk1 With custom Scrambler Build - $7760 + $1200 Worth of Italian Accessories. We can make it stock again if you absolutely want it that way, but we have a bone-stock one available too.  

Though still, some of these prices seem high.

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade on Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:52 am

Gents - please don't confuse my tossing out several options I'm considering as mental constipation or confusion. I'm in what I call the Discovery phase of my next purchase(s) so I'm throwing ideas out to y'all for feedback. Maybe I should have been clearer about that at the get-go and sorry if I'm causing any grief.

Harry - I'm totally on board with your thought process and that's pretty much exactly what I'm working through.

The primary question is one bike or two. A lot will depend on the ability of one bike to meet ALL my needs (upright/back-friendly ergos, reliable commuter AND weekend soul soother). The only two bikes I'm now considering as meeting those needs are the V7 III and a well sorted Stelvio. Bigger vs. smaller. That will depend on demo rides and your collective feedback.

Secondary question is IF I decide the answer to #1 is two bikes, which two?
Commuter will likely be the NC700x with is both ultra reliable and practical. The weekend soul soother is a little more challenging. It WILL be a Guzzi. Feedback on the 850's is mixed with many saying that at this point, that vintage will be inherently unreliable. The EV I had was cumbersome for commuting but checks the right boxes as a weekend ride. I'd LIKE something a little less cruiser-ish but non-Cali models are scarce.

egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade on Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:55 am

Kev M wrote:So how does Cleaveland Moto's end-of-year sale stack up against Wayne's prices?

Wayne's pricing is better: $6999 for a V7III Stone demo, full warranty AND I get to ride it home...
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by mogu83 on Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:28 pm

It that case I would go with a new V III and something older. Leave it stock with a few comfort upgrades.

Having an old bike in the garage is really cheap. Historic plates (20 years old) are a one time only fee (used to be $40) and the insurance for my two cb125's valued at $3000 each is around $80 a year.
The old bike doesn't have to be exceptionally dependable or comfortable to ride. The older cruiser type Guzzis can usually be found cheap and many with low mileage, oe a t or t3 type can be cut down to a pretty cafe racer with minimum effort and expense.
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick on Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:08 pm

egschade wrote:
Kev M wrote:So how does Cleaveland Moto's end-of-year sale stack up against Wayne's prices?

Wayne's pricing is better: $6999 for a V7III Stone demo, full warranty AND I get to ride it home...

The dealer from Accident MD will sell you a NEW one for $6999, no additional fees.
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick on Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:14 pm

I know this is sacrilegious, but a Suzuki V-Strom 650 would fit the bill as an only bike.
A 2018 retails for under $9K

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick on Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:17 pm

egschade wrote: sorry if I'm causing any grief.

No grief for me. As I stated a few posts back, I love spending your $$$
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade on Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:33 pm

Nick wrote:I know this is sacrilegious, but a Suzuki V-Strom 650 would fit the bill as an only bike.
A 2018 retails for under $9K

Sacrilegious indeed! If you remember, one of my main needs is something to 'sooth my soul'. I left the Guzzi world with my previous bike - the BMW F650GS - and came back. Very similar to the V-Strom in that it was very capable, very reliable, but has near-zero character. Guzzi's have ruined me forever - no more vanilla bikes! At lease no more vanilla without some hot fudge to ride on the weekend...
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade on Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:34 pm

Nick wrote:
egschade wrote: sorry if I'm causing any grief.

No grief for me. As I stated a few posts back, I love spending your $$$

Actually I'm performing a forum service. Not much else to talk about in mid-January.
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick on Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:13 pm

And you got this thread to 4 pages!
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade on Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:16 pm

Nick wrote:And you got this thread to 4 pages!

I'm sure the page count will increase if we keep using big pictures and lots of quotes!
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick on Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:55 pm

High page count is good for the forum owner. Maybe they’ll get more advertisement $$$
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade on Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:15 pm

Nick wrote:High page count is good for the forum owner. Maybe they’ll get more advertisement $$$

are you giving me permission to run up the page count? be careful what you ask for!
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by mogu83 on Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:35 pm

For a FREE forum this one is surprisingly free of advertising.
I have a few friends that ride all over the country on 650 V Stroms.

BTW: It's not the name on the tank, it's what you do with it that buts the adventure in the bike. I know guys that have world class touring bikes that have never been out of the State or away overnight, and guys with 150+MPH sport bikes that have never been to the ton or scrapped something while in a turn.
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick on Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:58 pm

egschade wrote:
Nick wrote:High page count is good for the forum owner. Maybe they’ll get more advertisement $$$

are you giving me permission to run up the page count? be careful what you ask for!

Hell, you don't need my permission. Wink
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade on Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:07 pm

I agree the V-Strom is an awesome/capable bike but having ridden a couple, it's not my cup of tea. As to your other point, I can't agree with you more. I see a ton of big-inch touring bikes with very low mileage around my neighborhood. As far as sport bikes, there are plenty of squids around here 'doing the ton' on the highway but the only scraping they do is when they toss it down the road...

It's all about finding a bike that 'fits' you and puts a smile on your face. I'm moving on from the Griso to find a better fit.

One of the bikes I've ridden that checks many of my boxes are the FI Triumph Scrambler and Bonnie. Have had a chance to ride both and am considering adding [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] to my 'only bike' short list.
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by Mac on Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:51 pm

egschade wrote:I agree the V-Strom is an awesome/capable bike but having ridden a couple, it's not my cup of tea. As to your other point, I can't agree with you more. I see a ton of big-inch touring bikes with very low mileage around my neighborhood. As far as sport bikes, there are plenty of squids around here 'doing the ton' on the highway but the only scraping they do is when they toss it down the road...

It's all about finding a bike that 'fits' you and puts a smile on your face. I'm moving on from the Griso to find a better fit.

One of the bikes I've ridden that checks many of my boxes are the FI Triumph Scrambler and Bonnie. Have had a chance to ride both and am considering adding [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] to my 'only bike' short list.
How does one deal with that hot exhaust.Another reason I didn't like the Indian(roasted leg).
Mac

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade on Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:04 pm

OK roundrel heads, what's your thinking on this [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ? It's a new addition to the same dealer's inventory as the Scrambler I just put up. I haven's had an opportunity to ride a R1200 so what's your opinion of this as an only bike? It's not a Guzzi but as Harry correctly points out, "It's not the badge on the tank". You know my want list so tell me how many boxes this might check. How is the lean compared to a GS [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]?

Also, is the stock saddle as bad as the one on my long-gone K1200LT? That thing tried to kill me on rides to OH and VT. Had to get an Airhawk.

Last edited by egschade on Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:21 pm; edited 4 times in total
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum