MGNOC of NJ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Riding pants ????

4 posters

Go down

Riding pants ???? Empty Riding pants ????

Post by mogu83 Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:35 am

Ok - opinion time.
I'm on my third set of waterproof riding pants in the last few years that won't get me through a two hour heavy rain without my ass and 'man parts' getting wet. Granted there isn't a lot of protection on most of the bikes we ride (IE: unlike RT/LT Beemers or Gold Wings) but some thing must be out there that will keep me dry other than full rain gear. This weekend I spent a little over an hour in heavy rain at 75/80 MPH and the Tourmaster pants didn't do the job.
Has anyone found a textile type pants that really keep you dry????
mogu83
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Riding pants ???? Empty Re: Riding pants ????

Post by Kev M Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:47 am

My Aerostich Darien Pants did that for the first about decade I owned them. I really should replace them with another set as they are much more limited in their protection these days.

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by mogu83 Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:08 am

Kev M wrote:My Aerostich Darien Pants did that for the first about decade I owned them. I really should replace them with another set as they are much more limited in their protection these days.

Elaborate please, "Did that" would that be kept you dry or leaked?? I was looking at the Darien pants as they were a just reasonable amount more expensive that the Tourmasters. I would gladly pay the extra $100 for a decade of dry 'man parts'.
mogu83
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev M Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:12 am

mogu83 wrote:
Kev M wrote:My Aerostich Darien Pants did that for the first about decade I owned them. I really should replace them with another set as they are much more limited in their protection these days.

Elaborate please, "Did that"  would that be kept you dry or leaked??   I was looking at the Darien pants as they were a just reasonable amount more expensive that the Tourmasters.   I would gladly pay the extra $100 for a decade of dry 'man parts'.

Sorry - they were completely waterproof for the first decade or so.

It probably helped that the Darien jacket I wore then was 3/4 length so it provided crotch coverage which might have made the sealing around the zipper there more effective.

I'm still using them, and they soak through eventually now after an all day rain. But they are so old I can't fault them anymore. I've just been too cheap/lazy to replace them.

I switched jackets to a Klim a year or two ago, and maybe it has a little less length too, but I don't think that's the reason the ancient Dariens are less effective these days.

I will probably break down and get a new set of them sooner or later.

Kev M

mogu83 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ff73148 Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:19 pm

Aerostich sells Ultralight Rain Pants that go over your riding pants. I've owned them for years and they are completely waterproof. They go over your riding pants easily. I even used them in the winter to shovel snow.
ff73148
ff73148

Back to top Go down

Post by mogu83 Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:47 pm

ff73148 wrote:Aerostich sells Ultralight Rain Pants that go over your riding pants. I've owned them for years and they are completely waterproof. They go over your riding pants easily. I even used them in the winter to shovel snow.
I carry 'rain gear' that goes on over my riding gear, but you have to stop and put it on before the rain starts.  My Tourmaster jacket keeps me dry even in an extended downpour, if only I could find riding pants that would do the same.
Although it seems rather extreme, I know a long distance rider that puts on Depends when facing a long day in hard rain, they keep water out as well as in.    It's one way to handle the problem, but I don't think I want to go there . Smile
mogu83
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by ff73148 Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:09 pm

mogu83 wrote:
ff73148 wrote:Aerostich sells Ultralight Rain Pants that go over your riding pants. I've owned them for years and they are completely waterproof. They go over your riding pants easily. I even used them in the winter to shovel snow.
I carry 'rain gear' that goes on over my riding gear, but you have to stop and put it on before the rain starts.  My Tourmaster jacket keeps me dry even in an extended downpour, if only I could find riding pants that would do the same.
Although it seems rather extreme, I know a long distance rider that puts on Depends when facing a long day in hard rain, they keep water out as well as in.    It's one way to handle the problem, but I don't think I want to go there . Smile

I also have a Dianese riding suit that I wear in the winter that is waterproof. They have a D-Dry line of jackets and pants that keep me dry. Expensive but they work.
ff73148
ff73148

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:17 am

My Tourmaster Mariner pants kept me dry in about 3 hours of riding through a mix of light rain and downpours. From hiking experience the waterproofing only lasts so long on the fabric. You could try treating your current pants with something like Nikwax tech wash - worked well on my hiking and ski jackets.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down