MGNOC of NJ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Finger Lakes BMW rally/ Discontinued rallies

2 posters

Go down

Finger Lakes BMW rally/ Discontinued rallies Empty Finger Lakes BMW rally/ Discontinued rallies

Post by mogu83 Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:44 am

It looks like this long time rally is no more.
Finger Lakes rally held in Watkins Glen on Labor Day weekend was IMHO the best BMW rally on the East Coast.  Extremally well run, great location and good food.  In it's hay-day the rally attracted 1200/1300 people and they handled it well. I first started going there in the early 80's and missed only a few over the years.  It was the last rally of the season and we partied hard.
If you didn't take the opportunity to attend this one you missed one of the best.  Lots of great memories camping there and of the people I spent the weekend with, over the years.  Sadly many are gone and the rally has lost something for me in the last few years, looking back at some of the pictures today it's amazing just how many there are.

As I've said before; these Euro bike type rallies are a unique experience and the people that attend and run them are slowly slipping away.  While the 'Get your motor running' crowd talk endlessly about brotherhood and comradery it's just talk and cute patches and pins.  If you really want to experience brotherhood and comradery in the motorcycle community take the time to go to one of these local club rallies before they all drift off into memory.

Naturally IMHO

Last edited by mogu83 on Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total
mogu83
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Finger Lakes BMW rally/ Discontinued rallies Empty Re: Finger Lakes BMW rally/ Discontinued rallies

Post by Kev M Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:26 pm

Went for a number of years during the 90s.

There was a spot away from the pavilion and main fields, sorta back into the woods where a small round clearing with room for a big bonfire was surrounded by tent platforms. That's where we would set-up shop after riding from winery-to-winery during the day filling our bags with provisions.

Guess I was there both on Harleys and BMWs (Air- and Oil-heads) over the years.

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Finger Lakes BMW rally/ Discontinued rallies Empty Re: Finger Lakes BMW rally/ Discontinued rallies

Post by mogu83 Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:58 am

Just got a verification from the club that this is correct. This was always the last rally of the season (the last hurrah) and everyone partied flat out.
mogu83
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by mogu83 Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:25 am

Heath Rally;
The Yankee Beemers have the schedule up for 2022 and Heath isn't on it. Problems with the rally site, I heard. Another 'good' one off the books.
mogu83
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down