MGNOC of NJ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cheap Stornellos

+3
mogu83
egschade
Mac
7 posters

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Cheap Stornellos - Page 5 Empty Re: Cheap Stornellos

Post by egschade Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:06 pm

Mac wrote: How does one deal with that hot exhaust.Another reason I didn't like the Indian(roasted leg).

I've only taken a short ride on a Scrambler so I can't say. Good point though. The high pipes are Steve McQueen cool to look at but could be a leg roaster and a pain when commuting. Reviews don't mention anything about heat but I will dig into some of the user forums.
egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by mogu83 Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:01 pm

WELL - Figured you might get here.
I do have some experience with this bike. R1200R  First marketed as a URBAN bike made for commuting, I've found it to be perfectly suited to carving corners, loading down with camping gear, going cross Country or traversing roads that most GS riders wouldn't think of.  Runs just as well at 14,000 feet as it does at sea level.  No monkeying with endless remapping, and dealers in most states. The seat isn't ideal but I did a few thousand mile days on one, now running a Corbin because I wanted to change the ergonomics slightly. Only problem was with the rear drive, the new one has an improved drivetrain.  With 125,00 miles (I put on) I'd leave tomorrow for the West coast (after mounting the new tires).

Not exceptionally flashy it's a work horse that ,it seems, does everything well.

This at 14,600 feet in Colorado (and I usually travel alone).

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

On the Dragon

Last edited by mogu83 on Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:40 am; edited 1 time in total
mogu83
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:30 pm

Harry - Is ANY year R1200R a safe bet or is there a cut-off age that you really want to be above? For instance, Sportsters went to the isolated frame in '04 and FI in '07 so I wouldn't consider an '06 or older.

Last edited by egschade on Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by mogu83 Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:59 pm

The R1200R came out in 2007, some changes were done on the drivetrtain in 2010 resolving the problems. I think in 2014 they brought out a new engine and drivetrain (I haven't heard of any problems). All years have a problem with the fuel gauge (if equipped), the company will replace them for 12 years if/when they fail.

Safe bet? I can only go by my experience and answer, yes it's a safe bet.
mogu83
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:42 pm

Well, if I go with a R12R at least I'll have the V50 to maintain my Guzzi cred.
egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by mogu83 Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:57 pm

Seeing as your 12.5% of the active members on this list I think you can stay even if your riding a Schwinn.

Shocked
mogu83
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:16 pm

What do you suppose is involved with reversing 'low suspension' on this [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]? Trying to decide if I like the paint scheme. Looks like the same fairing Harry is running on his R.
egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev M Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:31 pm

I could see the R12R being the ticket, though it's totally subjective if you like the flavor. But the ergos should be more what you're talking about (and somewhat adjustable), power better than fine, brakes and suspension solid, maintenance pretty straight forward. A lot to like.

Though when I first thought about buying its granddad back in 96 (a new R1100R), I wound up buying a Harley instead. And that pattern has repeated itself a number of times in the years since (though sometimes I bought a Guzzi instead).

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:52 am

Eric,
Why not list your many, previous bikes and next to each one write down the reason (only 1) why you liked them and the reason (only 1) why you sold them?
Find the common denominator and draw your own conclusions.
I'm a little puzzled by some of the choices suggested by and for you here on this thread. (I admit that some of mine contained some tongue-in-cheek Wink )
Do you really feel that the V50 "project" would satisfy your Guzzi craving? (Assuming you are still addicted)
Good luck.
Nick
Nick
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by mogu83 Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:42 am

The 2009 is the last year of the first generation so you give away some improvements in the drive train. The paint scheme is patterned after the Boxer Cup racers of the 1990s. Beemer offered a high,standard and low seat. I think the low bikes were just shocks and side stand,but I would ask the dealer. The bike is likely due for shocks anyway. Quality aftermarket shocks were the best thing I did to improve the bike.
mogu83
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:51 am

Nick wrote:Eric,
Why not list your many, previous bikes and next to each one write down the reason (only 1) why you liked them and the reason (only 1) why you sold them? Find the common denominator and draw your own conclusions. <SNIP> Good luck. Nick

Sir, I have actually done that. It comes down to budget, how best to use it and the ongoing struggle between logical and lizard brains.

I use my motorcycle for commuting to work so it needs to be practical, reliable and easy to use. I also take longer weekend rides where I want to be more entertained so it also needs to be engaging, exhilarating and FUN. These 'wants' point to needing two different bikes.

Enter the budget challenge. Can you get two motorcycles on the road for $7-8K? The answer is only 'yes' if you start to make compromises in the age and possible reliability of these two bikes. That's why I'm kicking around a mix of seemingly disparate bikes like the NC700X and Cali III.

The other option is to try to find that unicorn bike that satisfies most if not all my 'wants' for that price? That's why I'm looking at a Stelvio or R12R. Both pretty much tick all the boxes and are excellent, reliable bikes (well, only if the Stelvio has roller tappets). The Stelvio leans towards the lizard brain side while the BMW is more logic driven. That I have the V50 in the garage to scratch the weekend charm/character itch is a plus for the more practical bike. I rode a V50 quite a bit and know it can fill that need.

So there you have it. At this point I'm leaning towards the R12R.
egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev M Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:23 am

Reading that I was gonna say, get the R12R now...save money, buy V7 later.

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by mogu83 Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:17 am

Laura Blake has gone through a few R1200Rs and she drops on here every now and then.  I'm sold on it being a great all around bike, it would be interesting to get her insight.

Another thought - If you see a R1200GS (not GSA) take a look it's basically an R1200R with protection stuff bolted on. All the 'Adventure Riders' pass on the GS (much as the 'Real Harley Riders' pass on the Sportster) but their a good bike and can be found with low mileage (few ever actually get off road) and at a good price.

Only one second bike and it has to be a Guzzi.
I would go with a big block (850/1000) post 81 ish (Nikasil cylinders), two valve,points and carburetors.  Standard with a few cafe mods or a stock Lemans, your not going to ride it far so cool trumps comfort.
Sidenote: Right now with the strong US Dollar buying stuff like parts from Europe is a good deal so it's the perfect time to restore a Euro bike. (Something to tell the wife)

IMHO
mogu83
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:34 am

Kev & Harry. Sounds like we're all on the same page... Have looked at the R12GS as a possibility but they seem to price out higher than the Rs
egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev M Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:53 am

egschade wrote:Kev & Harry. Sounds like we're all on the same page... Have looked at the R12GS  as a possibility but they seem to price out higher than the  Rs

Well, with the GS you're back to the Stelvio...which I don't really think addresses all your concerns (i.e. because of the top-heavy weight). And actually it's more than just being top-heavy with the Stelvio.

Some wet weight figues:

Griso: 09 - 548#, 15 - 553#
Stelvio: 10 - 612, 12 NTX - 666#

R1200GS: 08 - 536#, 10 -532#, 11 - 544#, 13 - 544#, 14 GSA - 594#

R1200R: 07 - 511#

Ohhh, let me through out a dark horse. How about one of the new R9T variants?!?

R9T: 14 - 486#

I get the R because of ergos and weight... the R9T might be even better, and might offer more of that unicorn quality of something you want to look back at as you walk away.

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by mogu83 Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:47 pm

The R and the R9T are quite a bit different, I considered the 9T as a replacement for the R but it doesn't do it.  The 9T is maybe catering to the new bad boy cafe bike style while the R is more like the standard bike of the 80/90s which can be outfitted for many different uses.  Big downer for the 9T is you can't put the BMW bags or top case on it, really don't know what niche it was built for.

Again:  Use this site to check out the ergonomics.  I like it because you can put in your dimensions and see how you will sit on any bike.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
mogu83
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev M Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:03 pm

Well, where to start. If you're looking for a combination of lower weight and more design flair (not to mention if you're buying new and don't want a wet-head) the 9T offers a lot.

You can get C-bow bags and/or HB topcase racks for the different 9T variants.

And speaking of, that website (I guess I see the draw to some extent though I just don't get what's so hard about sitting on different bikes and trying them yourself), it doesn't have all the 9T variants. I guess if you use the website it shows the 12R and V7 Stone are about the same riding position (at least with regards to your back) and that the 9T is a hair less radical than the Griso, but not as upright as either.

But, and here's why I don't bother much with that website, it literally just takes some risers or different bars to change that and make it completely upright.

Though my real thought was maybe one of the 9T variants would already be set up better for all his wishes, like the Urban GS:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I think that's more upright, it's light (485# wet claimed by BMW), powerful, I bet it ticks a lot of buttons.

Biggest problem is it's probably too new to find many used which puts it above his stated price range.

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by Mac Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:02 pm

Basketball
Mac
Mac

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:42 pm

Not considering the R9T for all the negative reasons raised. It's too new to the affordable, and the riding position is not what I'm after. I used lowered pegs and bar risers on the Griso and that didn't work so I'm not going to try to turn a R9T into something it isn't.
egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by mogu83 Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:00 pm

Dependable:
This on a dirt road in Colorado.  35 miles over a 12,600 pass saw lots of wildlife but not another human, this was a turn around on the flat part of the road, the road itself was a challenge.  Spent the night on the top.

This was a little further along the road and this young bull didn't want to move.

mogu83
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:52 pm

Finally got home from work and checked my personal email. There were replies from all three dealers who are selling Stelvios. I had asked each to please pop the valve cover off and confirm that the engine had been fitted with roller tappets.

Dealer 1: Um, we don't do that but the bike runs great!
Dealer 2: Service mgr said the engine is up to date (whatever that means) and runs fine.
Dealer 3: Can't do that. If there's a problem you have 30 days to return the bike (to TX)

Combine the possibility of a time-bomb engine with the impressive heft and I'm going to pass on the Stelvios.
egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev M Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:21 pm

Well, I gave it a shot (9T), lol. Got myself wondering if I need another bike again.... Doh.

Meanwhile, fuck, man those responses are horrible and are part of the reason I scrubbed the Eldorado from my list when I bought the RK instead.

I love the new Eldo, but not enough to have a second Guzzi in the garage that costs that much and risk such stupidity either by the factory (the flat tappet fiasco) or by friggin incompetent dealers.

Please please please don't tell me one of the first two was local?!?

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:22 pm

Just found this [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] in NH. Should I be worried about the 32K mileage? Price is right and they offer free shipping. Then again, it's 'only' a 5 hr drive and I'd rather test ride it before buying.

Last edited by egschade on Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev M Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:25 pm

Nice...

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by mogu83 Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:00 pm

Worried about 32K - your kidding right.
That luggage setup is worth about 2 grand.
A color matched Parabellum (like mine) will cost $800 and you'll have a bike that will take you anywhere, anytime.
mogu83
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum