MGNOC of NJ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which bike for Euro Duty?

5 posters

Go down

Which bike for Euro Duty? Empty Which bike for Euro Duty?

Post by MADMIKE Sat Aug 03, 2024 10:03 am

Stopped by Francesco Motorsports in Athens, GR  last week and spotted a Red/White 2024 V85 next to the new liquid cooled Stelvio.
Any opinions which way to go for transportation in Greece. The rental car scene scene has become a bit of a bore with all the tasty European machinery buzzing by. Late model GS dominate there but I left the modern BMW scene many years ago.
V85 pretty dependable? Any news regarding the new ones with variable valve timing? Wouldn't have my garage over there so would have to rely on the service department for maintenance...ugh. Looking to maybe tour outside of Greece someday so would be doing a bit of highway mileage. Even in Greece, the roads open up as you head out of the city with mile (km) after mile of toll laden EU funded super slabs.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
MADMIKE
MADMIKE

Back to top Go down

Which bike for Euro Duty? Empty Re: Which bike for Euro Duty?

Post by mogu83 Sat Aug 03, 2024 12:26 pm

Nick rides around on a V7 and doesn't seem to be incapable of going wherever he wants. Haven't heard anyone complaining about the newer V85s. Nick has been absent lately, maybe he has some input.

mogu83
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Sun Aug 04, 2024 3:08 pm

I think either would meet your needs. I found the Stelvio a little more difficult to get off the side stand than the V85TT. Haven't seen the Stelvio panniers but given the mounts I doubt they'll be very large. V85TT Adventure and Travel have pretty large bags.

Thing is in Europe your dealing with increases in insurance and government regulations when you go over the 1,000cc limit.

They also have graded MC licenses ( by engine size) over there, but don't know how that affects international licenses.

I'm sure Mike is familiar with all the nuances.
egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Mon Aug 05, 2024 5:56 am

I just did a tour of the Italian-Swiss-Austrian Alps with my V7, 3200 Km (only 2,000 miles) in a week. I'm very happy with the bike. It could use a little more passing power and more clearance on switchbacks. The pegs seem to scrape when taking twisties a little aggressively. In retrospect I would get a liter bike.
Nick
Nick

mogu83 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MADMIKE Wed Aug 07, 2024 9:43 am

That's the tradeoff- Eric states the New Stelvio is a bit heavy which would make Athens alley work a chore. I couldn't manhandle my current Stelvio (2013) through those narrow streets let alone find parking. Roads are super narrow in that part of Athens. Something along the lines of lower Manhattan except with steep hills. Grunt of the big block will be missed though. V85 is checking a lot of boxes. Hopefully the valve adjust is straight forward on the VVT.
MADMIKE
MADMIKE

Back to top Go down

Post by mogu83 Wed Aug 07, 2024 5:57 pm

I was looking at how the VVT setup works. Looks like it's all mechanical and advances the gear on the cam. Everything happens on the front of the engine and it seems the valves would be adjusted just like the older bikes.
mogu83
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by Cam3512 Thu Aug 15, 2024 4:47 pm

Mike, can’t go wrong with the V85 for ease of maintenance.

Cam
Cam3512
Cam3512

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down