MGNOC of NJ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Larry's River, NS

4 posters

Go down

Larry's River, NS Empty Larry's River, NS

Post by mogu83 Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:22 pm

People that went on one of the Salty Fog rolling rallies will find this interesting.
Bob Weber and Mary Delorey the people that ran the rally seem to have purchased the old 'Convent' in town and turned it into a B&B.
I'm sure they are perfect hosts as they were during the Salty Fog days.  Mary's breakfasts are to die for.
If your in the area check it out.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
mogu83
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Larry's River, NS Empty Re: Larry's River, NS

Post by 9fingers Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:24 am

I just found this mogu83 and it might come in very handy for me. I have been dreaming and planning a trip in my head for a couple of years, Nova Scotia/Cape Breton Island and Newfoundland. It is why I bought the V Strom as doing that trip on my Royal Enfield 500 would have been a bit much........the hills on Cape Bretton would have been a 3rd gear workout for sure. I figure it is at least 2 week trip, probably 3, and with my consulting/sales job in full force for a few more years it has to remain a dream a bit longer. Probably should do it with a buddy but will go alone if I have to. None of my friends are all that adventurous. Looks like a cool place, thanks for posting.
Scott

9fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by mogu83 Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:35 am

A few of us have been up there a few times, when you get serious we can suggest a few places that most people miss.  Two weeks would do it not including Newfoundland.  Nothing there beyond the capability of a WeeStrom.

In August 69 something was going on in New York State, none of my friends were interested, I went alone.  I have memories, they are still making excuses why they didn't go to Woodstock.
>
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
mogu83
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by 9fingers Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:57 pm

Ha ha, I actually LIKE riding alone.....can do whatever you want....stop for pictures.....explore a side road or three........but I am 64 and will be 66 or 67 likely before I can go.........and not sure how smart it is to be alone in some potentially pretty rural areas......and I want to do dirt roads too! We shall see. I envy those that have done it at all, let alone a few times...
Scott

9fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by mogu83 Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:28 pm

We'll have to talk about riding in remote areas alone and how age affects it. Maybe one o the old guys can add something.
mogu83
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:59 am

Yesterday I watched a video by Nick Adams, riding his old '72 Guzzi thru Canada's wilderness.
In the video he says that he likes: "Plodding along, riding alone, stopping often....." and I can't say I disagree with it.
As far as Nova Scotia, and the way we went, it's a nice ride. The best, for me, was camping at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  
BTW rain gear is a must, it rained every year.
I may take a ride with my wife and stay at Bob and Mary's place, one of these days.
Nick
Nick

Mac likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mogu83 Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:10 am

Nick wrote: The best, for me, was camping at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  
I may take a ride with my wife and stay at Bob and Mary's place, one of these days.
Problem I see with Bob and Mary's is after they provide you breakfast where do you go to get lunch and dinner.  It's a long ride to the fish co-op in Louisburg.   Shocked

You missed the year the guy from Meat Cove told us not to even try going down the road into the campground.  We ended up in a motel/restaurant in Chetcamp, NS on the Northwest side. Things got out of hand when some guy from Halifax started making some concoction made from tomato juice, clam juice and whatever alcoholic beverage people donated.
Camping on the Eastern edge of North America (Meat Cove) ;
Happy Nick at Fish Co-Op Louisburg, NS:
Me risking my life on the North Atlantic, catching fish for my buddy Nick that stayed safely on shore, waiting for supper.
Our last campfire (and one of the best) at Meat Cove;

The road into Meat Cove, this was the best it ever was, at the other end of the spectrum it was raining, windy and the road was like grease
I didn't dare take my hands off the bars, to take a picture, and surely didn't get this close to anyone else.

.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Lots of great memories riding in Nova Scotia, so many great pictures thought I'd share just a few.
mogu83
mogu83

Mac likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:13 pm

I was there that year. ;-)

Quinn from Halifax did make a mean drink. That's when Frank's ( I think) girlfriend got drunk Very Happy
Nick
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by 9fingers Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:36 pm

Cool. I drove the Cabot trail back in 93 or 94 I think, when I was lucky enough to be unemployed for a bit.......thoroughly enjoyed it! Camped in Tatamagouche and wind surfed on windy days and road my mountain bike on logging roads on the non windy days. And did Cape Breton and visited Meat Cove. Was taking my new wife up a few years later and we had to cut the trip as she was so sick.......and pregnant, even though she was told she could not get pregnant..........that was the first time of two! So I have been wanting to go back now for a very long time. I watched that Nick Adams video too and it was fantastic. And I just watched one of 2 nutjobs from Revzilla that did the bottom of Alaska to the top.......on Honda CT90 and Trail 125 bikes.........total fun!. I would do that one too, and maybe I will. More pics? Keep em coming!
Scott

9fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:15 am

9fingers wrote:More pics? Keep em coming!
Scott
Here are a few. I went there in 2012,'13 and '15.

Nick
Nick

Mac likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mac Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:17 am

I guess you guys went during the rainy season.The wife and I went in August and rode too Meat Cove 2 up on a Wing with no issues.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Mac
Mac

Guzziboy66 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:21 am

Labor Day weekend, each time
Nick
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by 9fingers Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:22 pm

I don't remember what month I went but it was probably July or August and I was camping and it rained every night. I got so sick of setting my tent up in the rain that I finally drove 26 hours straight home to NJ......cause it was raining on the way out of Canada and I didn't want to set up again in the rain.......pretty brutal drive though. Took a bit of a rest and then drove on to Cape Hatteras...about 9 hours.....for some more wind surfing. Ah to be young and have very little responsibility........Though I did have a mortgage so back to work after that. Great group shot!
Scott

9fingers

Nick and Mac like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down