MGNOC of NJ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 7 Best Backroads In New Jersey For A Long Scenic Drive

+2
mogu83
Nick
6 posters

Go down

The 7 Best Backroads In New Jersey For A Long Scenic Drive Empty The 7 Best Backroads In New Jersey For A Long Scenic Drive

Post by Nick Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:20 pm

Someone posted this on Facebook

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Nick on Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nick
Nick

Guzziboy66 likes this post

Back to top Go down

The 7 Best Backroads In New Jersey For A Long Scenic Drive Empty Re: The 7 Best Backroads In New Jersey For A Long Scenic Drive

Post by mogu83 Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:33 pm

I guess that's a good bucket list for Jersey riders looking for someplace to ride.
Henry Hudson drive is really cool and few people know about it.  It starts at the George Washington bridge and runs North to the State line.  Took a bunch of Harley guys up there a few years ago, met at a diner in Fort Lee and rode North and West for lunch in Greenwood Lake then along the Delaware Home.  Yes a few of them complained (grumbled) about riding all day.
It's a great loop, the worst part is getting to Fort Lee followed by all the bicycles on the weekend riding on the drive.
mogu83
mogu83

Back to top Go down

The 7 Best Backroads In New Jersey For A Long Scenic Drive Empty Re: The 7 Best Backroads In New Jersey For A Long Scenic Drive

Post by mogu83 Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:43 am

Actually Henry Hudson drive is a nice road especially for people in North Jersey.  Virtually unknown because of it's location and the fact that the Southern entrance is very hard to find.  It's a nice summer ride under the George Washington Bridge and close to the waters edge up to the State line, 25 MPH limit so it's not a race track and as mentioned a lot of bicycles, and no matter what the road signs say they do NOT believe in sharing the road.
At the North end you can hop on the Palisades Interstate Parkway 20 miles and pick one of the nice roads thru Harriman State park to Greenwood Lake.

My Valk on the HH Drive:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
mogu83
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by Mac Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:52 pm

Old Mine Road
Last time I rode that road it was loaded with pot holes.
Mac
Mac

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:27 am

Love Old Mine Rd (RT 606 I believe) then connecting through to Flatbrook and Mountain roads. They DO tend to be a bit rough like a 60's vintage road but to me that's part of the charm. Not roads for Zen cruising at 50 MPH.
egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by Mac Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:56 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Mac
Mac

Back to top Go down

Post by 9fingers Sat May 29, 2021 6:07 pm

Mac wrote: Old Mine Road
I know this is a bit of an old post but since I live up here I will can tell you that Old Mine Road has been resurfaced and is tons better. An ideal afternoon includes a run out Old Mine to Blairstown for lunch at the Gourmet Gallery or at Donnas Runway Cafe, and then a trip back on 521. I do this every week or two.
Scott

9fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Sun May 30, 2021 6:22 am

9fingers wrote:
I know this is a bit of an old post but since I live up here I will can tell you that Old Mine Road has been resurfaced and is tons better. An ideal afternoon includes a run out Old Mine to Blairstown for lunch at the Gourmet Gallery or at Donnas Runway Cafe, and then a trip back on 521. I do this every week or two.
Scott

Will need to meet up with you for a late lunch or just a 'cuppa one day when I can block out an afternoon.
egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by Guzziboy66 Sun May 30, 2021 7:44 am

I rode Old Mine Road last year... never even heard about it until i read a NJ,com article about scenic drives in NJ. Last year there were some poor sections, but the scenery was great.
Guzziboy66
Guzziboy66

Back to top Go down

Post by 9fingers Sun May 30, 2021 8:56 am

egschade wrote:
9fingers wrote:
Scott

Will need to meet up with you for a late lunch or just a 'cuppa one day when I can block out an afternoon.
Indeed! And if you love coffee like I do, there is a roaster on 521 called Kars Coffee and they have good beans. I am my own boss mostly so just let me know when.
Scott

9fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by 9fingers Sun May 30, 2021 9:00 am

Guzziboy66 wrote:I rode Old Mine Road last year...  never even heard about it until i read a NJ,com article about scenic drives in NJ.  Last year there were some poor sections, but the scenery was great.

Yes, fixed almost all of it though there are still a few joints across the road that give me a severe jolt on the V7 but I try to lift my butt for those and only rarely get a painful surprise. I suspect V85 riders would have not trouble with better and longer travel rear. If you come up sometime then we need to go across the Dingmans Ferry bridge as there is a superb road on the other side. And from there we typically do lunch in Hawley PA or head on up a little further north and back across the river to Clancy's Coffee Shop in Barryville, then down 97 thru Hawksnest. I know this a a fairly long ride for most of you but it is my normal playground since I live near Stokes State Park.
Scott

9fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by 9fingers Sun May 30, 2021 9:14 am

Some pics of Old Mine Road.......These are all with Guinevere but I will get some with Sophia. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Scott

9fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down