MGNOC of NJ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Disturbing News from NPS

2 posters

Go down

Disturbing News from NPS Empty Disturbing News from NPS

Post by mogu83 Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:01 pm

National Park Service officials announced today that long time park store partner, America’s National Parks (TM), a part of Eastern National, will manage retail operations during the 2024 visitor season at Mabry Mill, located at milepost 176.2, on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Mabry Mill Restaurant and Gift Shop has historically been operated as a park concession, whereby a private business provides park visitors a service that parks do not provide directly. The contract with the current concessioner at Mabry Mill expires on December 31, 2023; and that operator has informed the National Park Service they do not plan to accept an extension or seek renewal of that contract. To that end, visitors can expect much of the traditional visitor experience at Mabry Mill in 2024 to continue including historic exhibits, cultural demonstrations, and live music events; however, seated dining will not be offered.

Eastern National has helped manage park visitor centers and stores on the Blue Ridge Parkway since 1955. Today they support operations at over 10 other store locations on the parkway, and over 240 park stores at NPS sites across the country.

NPS officials have initiated the process to attract a new concessioner and potentially a new operating model for this site. The park will issue a request for proposals for prospective operators in mid-2024, with the intent to have a new operator on site for the 2025 season. Concession operations in the National Park Service, and specifically the Blue Ridge Parkway, are evolving. The interests and activities of the 21st-century park visitor may mean that historic uses of park concession facilities may no longer be viable business opportunities and must be re-evaluated to meet the needs of a new generation of park stewards and visitors.

Hate to make it political but how could the Park Service screw this up. Mabry Mills is one of the most popular stops on the parkway and the restaurant section was always full from opening till closing time. Like they didn't know the contract was coming to an end.

I remember when the BRP was sprinkled with small restaurants along the entire length, also had small gas stations. The good old days.
Mabry Mills was always good for a decent breakfast, hopefully they'll work something out. I also heard that the Longfin Grill that was East of Willville moved to Stuart, likely because of the construction.
Last fall Nick and I went exploring and found a good place about 10 miles West on route 58. Jane's, in Meadows of Dan, is alright but has a very limited menu.
Maybe in the Spring we could get a ride together and ride down there, could do it in two days for the old guys that can't do 500 miles in a day.
mogu83
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Disturbing News from NPS Empty Re: Disturbing News from NPS

Post by egschade Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:39 pm

Could it be that the current owners are retiring or just sick of dealing with the Feds? New operating model = bigger cut for the NPS? Hard to know which side is forcing the issue but hopefully they don't screw it up.

As for a ride down the BRP it's been on my bucket list for a while. I did it in a Miata quite a while ago and recall thinking it would be an epic motorcycle ride.
egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by mogu83 Mon Dec 25, 2023 4:37 pm

IMHO - the best time on the BRP (I've been more than once) is dawn, the half hour before sunrise, unfortunately it's also the most dangerious.  Riding North is the hot deal because the sun will be on the side of the road your on.  There are a LOT of animals so you have to watch the speed, or pray a lot if that's the way you roll.  
The good news is if your lucky and the weather is agreeable  there is a view out to your right you will never forget.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
mogu83
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down