MGNOC of NJ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Motorcycle stuff

Go down

Motorcycle stuff Empty Motorcycle stuff

Post by mogu83 Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:09 am

Before the movie at Cross Country a few of us met at a diner in Edison for dinner and somehow motorcycle journalism came up.  I said two of my favorite motorcycle authors were T.E. Lawrence and Hunter S Thompson, both cut right to the heart of the sport with out the BS that you read today.

Lawrence:
 The Road --   [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
On Motorbikes:  "A skittish motorbike with a touch of blood in it is better than all the riding animals on          earth, because of its logical extension of our faculties, and the hint, the provocation, to excess.               conferred by its honeyed untiring smoothness."  Lawrence always rode a Brough Superior, he had seven of them and met his untimely end on one.
           "When my mood gets too hot and I find myself wandering beyond control I pull out my motor-bike and hurl it top-speed through these unfit roads for hour after hour."
On Speed: To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained.  All men in all ages have beggared themselves for fast horses or camels or ships or cars or bikes or aeroplanes: all men have strained themselves dry to walk or run or swim faster.  Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature, and our generation is fortunate in being able to indulge it more cheaply and generally than out ancestors.  Every natural man cultivates the speed that appeals to him.  I have a motor bike income.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

THE BROUGH LAWRENCE DIED ON - commonly accepted to be one of the most valuable motorcycles in the world.

In the mid 1930s Lawrence lived about 100 miles from his work and on occasion made the trip in less than an hour.
Hunter S Thompson,
Thompson was interesting to say the least - part of his weirdness was a love for two wheeled vehicles.
The Edge  “The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. The others-the living-are those who pushed their control as far as they felt they could handle it, and then pulled back, or slowed down, or did whatever they had to when it came time to choose between Now and Later. But the edge is still Out there.”
Midnight on the Coast Highway:
 [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The song of the Sausage Creature: What happens when a chopper guy gets on a Ducati SS900
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

mogu83
mogu83

Back to top Go down