MGNOC of NJ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tubed tire flat repair

4 posters

Go down

tubed tire flat repair Empty tubed tire flat repair

Post by Nick Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:24 pm

With the Willville trip coming up, my plan is to take my 1972 Eldorado. I’ll be taking the Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway to get down there. Approx. 300 miles of nice, scenic, easy going ride and most of it without cellular service.
I’ve been thinking, what if I get a flat? I have gotten flats before, using that same route, but repaired it and kept going. But, not on tubed tires……what would you recommend I take with me to be able to repair the damage and keep going?

I had posted this message earlier this morning, but it disappeared ......
Nick
Nick

Back to top Go down

tubed tire flat repair Empty Re: tubed tire flat repair

Post by mogu83 Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:55 pm

Naturally an air compressor, tire spoons and a patch kit for tube type tires.  

BUT.  Trying to patch a neoprene type tube is usually something that usually doesn't end well.  The old rubber tubes were easy and usually not a problem.  The good news - I think your bike uses the same size front and rear 18".  I know you change the tubes when you change the tires so just bring an old tube with you and it will fit either tire.  I carry a 400 X 18 tube with me on the old Beemer.  I might have an old 400X18 tube if you want me to bring it.

OR you could carry a Saint Columbanis (patron Saint of motorcyclists) coin and hope the good Saint will protect you.
Smile
mogu83
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:33 pm

It does have the same 18" front and rear. I'll try to get a tube and irons tomorrow. I probably would need a couple of C-clamps to break the bead also. The pain in the ass is that I would need to take the tire off the bike, so I have to see what tools I would need for that. It has drum brakes, so I need to see what's involved with that. I'll inventory what tools I need later on today. If it's too much hassle (for such a short window), I'll take the Aprilia. It's not as comfortable, has a smaller fuel tank, but it's available.
Nick
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by Mac Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:04 pm

Or you could have the wife follow with the trailer. Laughing
Mac
Mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:11 pm

Mac wrote:Or you could have the wife follow with the trailer. Laughing

Oh believe me she's on call!!! Very Happy
Nick
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:57 pm

Nick wrote:I probably would need a couple of C-clamps to break the bead also. The pain in the ass is that I would need to take the tire off the bike, so I have to see what tools I would need for that.

I used to fix flats on my dirt bikes w/o removing the wheel from the bike IF I could see or locate the hole in the tube. Rotate the wheel so the puncture was facing the open and just pop enough of the tire off to pull the tube out for repair. The Eldo isn't a dirt bike though and reduced clearances would probably force you to remove the wheel. Not sure you'll need bead breaking tools. Tube wheels typically have a narrow inner shoulder since they don't need to seal air in, just hold the tire on. If memory serves a well placed heel and a pry with the spoon is enough to break the bead.

Another option is to load up your tubes with slime. Will prevent a flat if it's a smaller puncture like a nail.

I like Harry's idea of carrying a spare tube (or two).
egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by mogu83 Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:11 pm

In reference to Slime like stuff:
I've used Ride On and was surprised how little of the tire is actually protected.  I did put in the proper amount plus a little. Picture of the tire when I removed it.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
mogu83
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:15 am

Harry - I've had better success with Slime and the like in tubes vs. tubeless. Maybe dirt bike tires have a rounder/taller profile so it works better in them?
egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down