MGNOC of NJ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where have all the tires gone?

5 posters

Go down

Where have all the tires gone? Empty Where have all the tires gone?

Post by egschade Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:53 am

The Sportster still has the original, 20 year old tires. Needless to say they need replacing.

When I went to the usual websites like Revzilla, Chaparral and Dennis Kirk virtually all the euro brands I like are out of stock not only in the size I need (100 or 110x19 and 140 or150x16), but even in the more popular sizes. Only brands available are Shinko, Kenda and Dunlop 'Harley' spec tires (which are crazy expensive for an average tire IMHO). At this point I'll go with the Shinko 777 reinforced cruiser tire but want to shop a little more.

So, what's going on w/ euro brand tires and where do you shop?
egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Where have all the tires gone? Empty Re: Where have all the tires gone?

Post by mogu83 Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:15 am

My Sportster went through the garage so quick I didn't even write the tire sizes down anywhere,
I wouldn't hesitate putting Shinko or Kenda tires on a Sportster as you likely won't be carving corners with it. I've used both with no bad experiences.
I had a Shinko 705 on the back of the Sportster (dual sport) and got a lot of positive comments from the Harley guys.
mogu83
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:20 am

Harry, I do recall you had the Shinko 705's on your bike but the '04 uses a 16" rear and 705's aren't available in that size. Kenda makes a similar 80/20 tire but reviews say it has horrible rain traction so that's off the table.
egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev M Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:06 am

Harry had a SuperLow - it's was an odd-duck with low profile tires, might even have been radials (I forget).

Totally different tire/profile than what was used by most of the XL line, especially the 1200R - and for what it is worth, the 1200R can carve as well as a Tonti Cali.

Eric, I think I said in one of my texts or maybe one of my posts on the subject I found going down to a 140 profile on the rear instead of the stock 150 gained me quicker break-over with no penalty to traction or longevity. I tended to run Metzlers, but I hear the Michelins are quite well thought of as well.

Maybe changing to a different profile might offer up some additional in-stock options.

(I also went up from a 100 to a 110 in the front for "balance" between the sizes.

My 07 with the 140 rear and 110 front:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

A friend's SuperLow that I've serviced since new with OEM tires:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:54 am

Kev - I did follow your suggestion and searched for 110x19 and 140x16 as well as the stock 100x19 and 150x16. Same result - either the front or rear tire would be available but not both. I'll take one more look but probably go with the Shinko 777 cruiser tire which had good reviews.
egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev M Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:11 pm

Bummer....

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:24 pm

Have you checked [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ?
Nick
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:22 pm

Nick wrote:Have you checked [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  ?

No - will do so now
egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by ff73148 Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:46 pm

egschade wrote:The Sportster still has the original, 20 year old tires. Needless to say they need replacing.

When I went to the usual websites like Revzilla, Chaparral and Dennis Kirk virtually all the euro brands I like are out of stock not only in the size I need (100 or 110x19 and 140 or150x16), but even in the more popular sizes. Only brands available are Shinko, Kenda and Dunlop 'Harley' spec tires (which are crazy expensive for an average tire IMHO). At this point I'll go with the Shinko 777 reinforced cruiser tire but want to shop a little more.

So, what's going on w/ euro brand tires and where do you shop?

You have tires on your bike that are 20 years old? Aren't they checked after that long?
ff73148
ff73148

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:47 pm

ff73148 wrote:
You have tires on your bike that are 20 years old? Aren't they checked after that long?

Sidewalls are cracked and they're hard as hockey pucks. Would NOT want to go far or lean on these tires.
egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:00 pm

egschade wrote:
Nick wrote:Have you checked [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  ?

No - will do so now

Well, American Moto Tire doesn't have much either but they DO have Pirelli MT60's in the OEM size (100 front bias / 150 rear radial). I had this combo on my V7 III and they're a great 90/10 tire. Load rating for each tire (nearly 950 lbs) is well above the bike's curb weight so plenty of margin for a rider and some gear. I think these tires will work well for how the bike will be used. I'll need to double check tread width to make sure there's clearance but it looks fine eyeballing it.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Another option is to go with a 110x19 Shinko 705 on the front as this would give me radial tires on both ends and the pattern is similar. I know Harry had 705s on his Sportster and liked them. They also worked well on the BMW GS I had.

If they don't fit I'll go with the Shinko 777 cruiser tires (110 front / 140 rear) for $100 less.

egschade
egschade

Nick and Kev M like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:53 pm

Went with the Pirelli MT60s. Who knows, maybe the Sportster will evolve to a street tracker

egschade
egschade

Guzziboy66 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum