MGNOC of NJ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Weight of camping gear

3 posters

Go down

Weight of camping gear Empty Weight of camping gear

Post by mogu83 Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:48 am

To save myself the effort of weighing all my camping gear, does anyone have a ball park figure on the weight of camping gear for one person.\??
mogu83
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Weight of camping gear Empty Re: Weight of camping gear

Post by Nick Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:21 pm

Well, it would all depend on whether you have a cot, mattress, a kermit chair with extra legs and what size tent, pegs, hammer, walking shoes, coffee pot, coffee, and a sizable tool kit like yours,......you are better off weighing your own stuff Wink
I figure with my set-up, panniers, top case and dry-bag, it should be less than 150 lbs, so same as two-up. (No booze included Smile )
Nick
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by 9fingers Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:52 am

It depends on how lightweight you want to go and how much luxury you want and how cold you want to go. I have some very lightweight stuff, a single person tent at 4lbs, a tiny down sleeping bag less than the size of a football, but only good down to maybe 58 degrees, and a lightweight auto inflating foam pad, plus a minimal stove and Stanley SS cook kit.......I can probably go camping with 10 or 15 lbs of gear and be reasonably comfortable. But if you want more comfort, a warmer bag, a 2 or 3 person tent....I have them too......then maybe 20 to 25lbs. Check out youtube vids on the subject, from Fortnine and others, and choose your comfort level and go from there. Get a decent ground pad, either a blow up for foam filled self inflating at least 2" thick, and a decent 2 lb sleeping bag and a 2 person tent with some sort of vestibule. Link to the one I bought attached. The stove pictures was less than $15 and is fantastic and size of a pack of cigs (without the fuel canister). I don't do any fancy cooking but insist on good coffee and I can do freeze dried meals but I generally just hit the local eateries.....generally better and much easier. And than tiny thing near the soda bottle is the tiny down bag I bought......really quite useless unless it stays warm all night. I would buy one of the $40 bags on Amazon for a bit better cool weather performance. I have camped down to 15 degrees but that was in my mid 20s......not doing that now!
Scott
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

9fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by 9fingers Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:06 pm

Here is my current bike camping kit, including one of those mini camp chairs, probably weighs 3 or 4 lbs......got it free at LL Bean....my 2 person tent, stove and cooking gear and fold up silicone coffee pour over device. Heck I have room to bring a French Press! And that is an Army surplus lightweight bag, probably comfy down to low to mid 50s....can always wear some long johns and sweats if need to. The only thing not in the pic is my sleeping pad and those come in a variety of sizes. Oh, and there is a mini Harbor freight lantern in there.
Scott[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

9fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by mogu83 Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:41 pm

I also use a Alps Engineering tent.  It's a four man outfitters grade tent (heavier floor and wall material, aluminum poles) which makes it a little heavy and moves the cost into the $300+ range.
Big Agnes 20 degree bag and the new Big Agnes AXL insulated sleeping pad ($179)which is a year old and never been used.
I've been MC camping for almost 50 years and found out decades ago it don't pay to go cheap.
Just too lazy to assemble and weigh all of it.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
mogu83
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by 9fingers Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:29 am

Heck you are a PRO! I am a beginner at MC camping. I used to backpack the Catskills in Winter and the Adirondacks in Summer, but that was 40 years ago. Your stuff weighs more than mine...........My stuff needed to fit my Royal Enfield but now I have the V Strom for more serious endeavors[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Scott

9fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by mogu83 Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:27 am

A motorcycle that can do a little off road can really expand the places where you can camp. I've camped in some strange places and awoke to some spectacular views.
mogu83
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum