MGNOC of NJ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lane splitting

4 posters

Go down

Lane splitting Empty Lane splitting

Post by mogu83 Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:34 am

This came up on another site and opened a lively debate.
How do you guys feel about 'lane splitting' ??

When I was in California I did it because I saw other people doing it.  I found it uncomfortable, going through moving lanes of traffic, because my Beemer with the wide saddle bags is kind of ------ well, it's fat.   I would be more interested in a law allowing us to go up the shoulder when traffic is backed up.

Lane splitting isn't 'really' legal in California, it's just that no law says it's illegal and as long as the rider isn't riding like an a-hole the police accept it.

Lots of bills going through the legislatures in various states about lane splitting and going up the shoulder when traffic is stopped.  Like the laws about going through a red light the rules vary widely.You really have to check current laws per State.

Assembly bill A3701 in New Jersey established a commission to study lane splitting in 2008 but nothing came of it.  No published findings, I can't find a record if they ever even had a meeting.

The AMA has come out in favor of lane splitting (it's legal in most of the world) do to the increasing number of distracted drivers rear ending motorcycles in traffic jams and at stop lights.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
mogu83
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Lane splitting Empty Re: Lane splitting

Post by Kev M Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:58 am

Filtering (to the front at stops) just plain makes sense (as long as you're not one of those riders who then runs at 5 under the speed limit once the light changes).

Lane splitting makes sense too, though some people take it to extremes.

MANY years back I found myself on the CA coast in LA around rush hour and needed to get back to Rancho Cucamonga for a post ride gig (I'd spent two weeks with a large Harley tour riding old route 66 and this was the good-bye bash before we all split up and went our own ways).

Anyway, I lane split on my Evo RK for a solid hour on three different CA highways which were gridlocked with near dead stopped and crawling traffic most of the way. It would have taken hours more without it.

I noticed that the CA drivers are so used to it MOST would pull a little to the side of their lanes giving me extra room. It was a pretty easy and very rewarding experience from the perspective of continued mobility.

Years later I did it again on some press bikes on west coast trips. I have to say I wish we could here.

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by mogu83 Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:01 am

I think it would be a matter of driver education, I was surprised to read that only 50% of car drivers in California thought it was legal.   I also read that they (Cal) passed a law in 2017 making it officially legal.
Last week going to the Cass rally I got stuck in a traffic backup (stopped) and proceeded up the shoulder.  An observant driver in a flatbed truck noticed me and reacted by running his right front tire almost into the curb - stopping my progress.   I did what any  right think motorcyclist would do  -- went up a driveway, proceeded down the sidewalk and reentered the road down another driveway on the other side of the truck.  I think he appreciated my quick thinking as he laid on his air horn and held one finger up in the air signifying I was number one.
mogu83
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev M Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:48 am

Last year I hit dead stop traffic late in the day on I81N in 90-something degree heat with at least 300 miles left to go that day. So I almost immediately took to the shoulder slowly passing the trapped cars. I got more than a few actual friendly waves.

I do think the police RK doesn't hurt in such matters. I think at least some don't know if it's a work bike or not in the first glance which buys enough good will.

I rode a few miles past stopped traffic until I got to the point where the choked cars were being directed ONTO the shoulder in a single lane to pass the accident.

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:06 pm

I'm all for lane filtering and splitting when cars are stopped, going less than 10 MPH in heavy congestion, or at a stop light. I'm in CA now and see lane splitting at normal highway speeds and am a little freaked out by it. In the frequent traffic congestion spots where speeds are low it seems much safer.

egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:19 pm

egschade wrote:I'm all for lane filtering and splitting when cars are stopped, going less than 10 MPH in heavy congestion, or at a stop light. I'm in CA now and see lane splitting at normal highway speeds and am a little freaked out by it. In the frequent traffic congestion spots where speeds are low it seems much safer.

I should add that the preponderance of bikes I've seen lane splitting are standards or ADV bikes without side cases. Not once in several hours of diving have I seen it done on a cruiser or touring rig. Makes sense to use as narrow and upright a bike as possible when splitting.
egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by mogu83 Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:35 am

Just noticed in this months AMA magazine (I know everyone belong to the AMA) that as of May 14 lane splitting is now legal in Utah.
Might be relevant in Salt lake City but not in the rest of the state.
Riding in Southern Utah is like riding on the moon. Roads are long flat and straight, it's usually three digits hot, you will be alone and everything is really far apart. BUT - the view from the handlebars is beyond words.
I hit Zion,Bryce and National Reef in one day and ended at Four Corners.

This riding into Monument Valley, if you want to get around, speeds in the triple digits helps. There is no one watching.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by mogu83 on Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:03 am; edited 1 time in total
mogu83
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:00 am

Some dummies on crotch rockets were lane splitting on the GSP yesterday, and their speed was not even close to legal either.
Nick
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by mogu83 Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:09 am

You can't lane split on the Parkway !!!!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
mogu83
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum