MGNOC of NJ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hamlins for new bike purchase?

+7
Cam3512
Upstate Mark
ff73148
Guzziboy66
mogu83
Kev M
9fingers
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Hamlins for new bike purchase? Empty Hamlins for new bike purchase?

Post by 9fingers Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:57 am

Hi, you guys that have purchased bikes from Hamlins, question for you. What does he typically charge for prep and freight. I am sure I am not alone in really disliking the $600 freight fee that places like Blackmans (Emmaus) charges. When I bought my V7III Special, MG had a promo going with Free Freight and that was sweet. I am considering going for a V7 Corsa, mostly for the extra rear suspension travel.....I really don't need the extra power for the backroads trips I do. I have been to BMG a few times and like the place overall, but the owner is an odd guy and screwed over a friend of mine.
Thanks,
Scott

9fingers

Back to top Go down

Hamlins for new bike purchase? Empty Re: Hamlins for new bike purchase?

Post by Kev M Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:15 am

That Corsa is kinda sweet.

The new V7 Stone Ten is more than a little OK too.

But I don't need another bike, I don't need another bike, I don't need another bike.

Oh yeah and I blew my $25k bike savings on a second Jeep (and birthday party for Jenn last year).

Time to start building the war chest again.

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by mogu83 Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:52 am

I forget what I paid, Guzzi had an end of year deal and I traded in a bike.
Although Hamilin is out of the way at least he knows Guzzis (as do the people that work for him).
There is that new guy in Flemington, but I imagine he's just selling them (service might be a little sketchy). Only way to know is to call.

Washing bikes todat - have to get back to it. BYE
mogu83
mogu83

Kev M likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guzziboy66 Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:24 pm

I suspect the guys in Flemington are only carrying Guzzi because they wanted to sell Aprilia's.  Though I've considered getting a part time job there at the parts counter when I retire...  Right after they opened I went there for oil filters and oil for the Sport, the Griso and the Norge.  They did not have the filter in stock and were not aware that all 3 take the same filter.  I'll give them a pass on this because they were new to Guzzi and the parts guy was seriously embarrassed that he did not have it. He assured me that he'd have them in stock in the future.  I'll update in a few weeks.
Guzziboy66
Guzziboy66

Back to top Go down

Post by ff73148 Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:54 pm

I realize that Hamlin's is out of the way but you will know that the bike is set up properly. You are going to get hit with fess no matter which dealer you go to.
I wasn't impressed with Flemington. I showed up one day with my Eldorado and ask if they were trained to service it. They told me they received training online to to service new models. But they didn't see why they couldn't service my Eldorado. They won't be learning on my bike. I'll be going to Hamlin's when I want service.
ff73148
ff73148

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev M Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:27 pm

ff73148 wrote:I realize that Hamlin's is out of the way but you will know that the bike is set up properly. You are going to get hit with fess no matter which dealer you go to.

Not necessarily.

At least when I bought my 2018 Carbon I called Jim first but he couldn't even discount the freight and prep so I went to Xtreme in Accident MD and got it for $3k less - no freight, no prep, just a $75 fee over the agreed price which was thousands off MSRP.

It's not fair, it's not right, but it is how Piaggio NA has always seemed to do business giving extraordinary discounts to some dealers hard on volume and nothing to others.

I like Jim and if I we local I'd go no where else.

But it wasn't worth a $3k premium to me for that purchase.

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by 9fingers Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:50 am

Thanks for replies. The place in Flemington is owned by Blackmans and I will check them out regardless since they are maybe an hour from me. I will also check out that place in MD as I don't mind a trip to pick up a bike. Heck, I had my Royal Enfield Classic Chrome 500 shipped from Oklahoma back in 2018.....they were the only ones that had the discontinued Royal Maroon color I wanted. And my wife and I drove up to Ithaca NY in December to pick up her Fiat 500X.......saved $3k over the dealer outside Scranton or the one in Ramsey, NJ. I would love to try Hamlin and he has a Corsa coming in any week. My wife is going with me to check it out. Not sure if I will trade my V7 or sell it myself........any advice on that? I realize NORMAL people are not that into the V7III or Moto Guzzi in general.........but normal is boring!
BTW, I like that new Stone 10 and the Special Edition as well. But they come with that Arrow exhaust system, which is a very pricey system at something like $1600 as set. And that system doesn't sound nearly as good as a set of Agostini pipes, so I would be taking it off anyway. See you guys at a meet up sometime when it is a little closer to me and Eric....or maybe out in PA.
Scott

9fingers

Kev M likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Upstate Mark Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:47 am

I bought a new bike from Hamlins last spring.  Yeah, I had to pay shipping, etc.  Perhaps I could have saved money elsewhere but there are no dealers any closer than my 4 hour drive to Hamlins.  The special set-up he did for me and the cooperation with pick-up and first service logistics was worth any minor premium I might have paid.

Upstate Mark G.

Upstate Mark

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev M Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:16 am

I could be wrong but I thought I read the Arrow exhaust was an option in the Ten and not standard?

Upstate Mark wrote:I bought a new bike from Hamlins last spring.  Yeah, I had to pay shipping, etc.  Perhaps I could have saved money elsewhere but there are no dealers any closer than my 4 hour drive to Hamlins.  The special set-up he did for me and the cooperation with pick-up and first service logistics was worth any minor premium I might have paid.

Upstate Mark G.

Where the heck are you that you're 4 hours from Flemington, Emmaus, or West Chester?

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by Upstate Mark Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:55 am

I'm located just south of Syracuse, NY.  Perhaps confusion lies with my definition of a proper dealer.   I think a dealer should be committed to the marque; sold Guzzis for a while; have sales and tech personnel that know more than me; and, perhaps most importantly, supports us by having an appearance at our rallies on occasion. But that's just me.  

Upstate Mark

Upstate Mark

Guzziboy66 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cam3512 Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:13 am

What’s peace of mind knowing the setup and any subsequent service will be done correctly worth to you?  I’ve known Jim for almost 20 years.  Bought my new V85 from him in 2019, and he’s done every service since.  Guzzi ONLY dealer, has the knowledge, and attends a half dozen Guzzi rallies a year.  Well worth the 3 hour ride to me.  Several of us from NJ give him our business.

Pay now, or pay later…
Cam3512
Cam3512

Guzziboy66 and ff73148 like this post

Back to top Go down

Hamlins for new bike purchase? Empty Hamlins

Post by SEG Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:53 pm

I have not bought a Guzzi from Hamlins, but Hamlins is the only place I will get my 14 Cal Touring serviced. I ride 65 miles to his shop, and take a 2+ hour train ride back to Manhattan. When I lived in Denver, I would regularly stop by Hamlins when on the east coast to get my bike serviced. My dealer did not set up my Guzzi properly, and repeatedly created problems when serviced. It was only after I began going to Hamlins that I was able to fully appreciate how good the 14T is. There are Guzzi dealers on Long Island and Brooklyn--both are a lot closer for me than Bethel, CT, but I gladly make the longer trek to Hamlins.
Scott

SEG

Guzziboy66 and ff73148 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev M Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:59 pm

Ahhh, Mark you're upstate NY, copy that

As for pay now or pay later I guess I'll let you know when I finally need a dealer (after the initial purchase).

I've only owned 4 Guzzis in the past couple decades, all but one bought new. The one was under 1k and still from a dealer.

I saved:

* $4k+ on the first (Jackal)
* $4k+ on the second (Breva1100)
* nothing on the third - tried to "support" a "proper" dealer (FBF) giving up a $2k off, offer from someone else. FBF later screwed me and after that went out of business
* $3k on my third

So that's $11k saved on 3 bikes. If one blows up I'm still ahead.

Oh and saved what $6-7k on the last Harley and sold it 6 years later for $240 less than I paid for it.

Again I respect you guys who want to support Jim and don't live near him. Maybe I'll get there someday. But for now I'm good.

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by ff73148 Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:19 pm

I've seen similar posts on different forums. The way I look at it is that if we don't support the local dealers they won't stay in business.
I go to Hamlin's because of his expertise with Moto Guzzi's. I bought my 2016 Eldorado from a guy on CycleTrader in Pittsburg last year. The bike had 1440 miles on it and he was the original owner. Great buy but I wasn't confident that the bike serviced properly since the bike was ridden only 200 miles per year. The bike went to Hamlin's and was completely serviced and software updated. Then I knew the bike was safe to ride.
ff73148
ff73148

Guzziboy66 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev M Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:04 am

ff73148 wrote:I've seen similar posts on different forums. The way I look at it is that if we don't support the local dealers they won't stay in business.

Yeah, that was the logic I was trying to follow when I bought not one, but two over-priced bikes from FBF. I mean of all "local" dealers, I was figuring that FBF would stick around right? But nope they closed up shop and I never benefitted from that relationship.

Hell THREE of the FOUR dealerships I purchased Guzzis from went out of business. One was FBF, another was the #2 sales for Guzzi in the country the year I bought.

Then there's the question about what constitutes a "local" dealer? 3 hours and two states away isn't local to me.

But maybe the biggest rub is that a dealer rarely touches any of our vehicles. I mean, if I do all my own service and most of my repairs, how am I really "supporting" any dealer anyway.

I dunno - you guys do you.

Like I said, if I lived one town away I might chose to not only purchase from Jim, but maybe even bring my bike(s) there for service.

But since I don't, there's NO real ROI in it for me.

YMMV

Last edited by Kev M on Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:03 am; edited 1 time in total

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by ff73148 Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:46 am

Kev M wrote:
ff73148 wrote:I've seen similar posts on different forums. The way I look at it is that if we don't support the local dealers they won't stay in business.

Yeah, that was the logic I was trying to follow when I bought not one, but two over-priced bikes from FBF. I mean of all "local" dealers, I was figuring that FBF would stick around right? But nope they closed up shop and I never benefitted from that relationship.

Hell THREE of the FOUR dealerships I purchased Guzzis from went out of business. One was FBF, another was the #2 sales for Guzzi in the country the year I bought.

Then there's the question about what constitutes a "local" dealer? 3 hours and two states away isn't local to me.

But maybe the biggest rub is that a dealer rarely touches any of our vehicles. I mean, if I do all my own service and most of my repairs, how am I really "supporting" any dealer anyway.

Like I said, if I lived one two away I might chose to not only purchase from Jim, but maybe even bring my bike(s) there for service.

YMMV

Kev,
I'm glad you have the space, equipment and knowledge to do your own maintenance and not depend on a dealer. I lack the space and equipment. I blame MG for not having a competent dealer network in the area. So even though Hamlin's is two hours away I guess I've made him my local dealer. Anyway who doesn't like to take a long ride.
ff73148
ff73148

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev M Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:03 am

ff73148 wrote:
Kev M wrote:

Like I said, if I lived one town away I might chose to not only purchase from Jim, but maybe even bring my bike(s) there for service.

YMMV

Kev,
I'm glad you have the space, equipment and knowledge to do your own maintenance and not depend on a dealer. I lack the space and equipment. I blame MG for not having a competent dealer network in the area. So even though Hamlin's is two hours away I guess I've made him my local dealer. Anyway who doesn't like to take a long ride.

To be absolutely clear I'm NOT criticizing your choices here. I'm just saying why the logic doesn't work for me.

I'm glad you've got the time and inclination.

I HEAR good things about MotoPlex in West Chester, but I fall shy of recommending one pursue/support THAT local dealer because so many others have failed in the area that I can't believe his days aren't numbered also. Then again he seems to have lasted longer than a few in that same area already. I mean hell what's he been around now 6-7 years in that location already?

But in the end Jim is likely one of the best in the country so if you're gonna put your faith in someone, that's a good person in which to put it.

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by ff73148 Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:23 am

To be absolutely clear I'm NOT criticizing your choices here. I'm just saying why the logic doesn't work for me.

I'm glad you've got the time and inclination.

I HEAR good things about MotoPlex in West Chester, but I fall shy of recommending one pursue/support THAT local dealer because so many others have failed in the area that I can't believe his days aren't numbered also. Then again he seems to have lasted longer than a few in that same area already. I mean hell what's he been around now 6-7 years in that location already?

But in the end Jim is likely one of the best in the country so if you're gonna put your faith in someone, that's a good person in which to put it.[/quote]

Kev,
I know the owner of the MG dealer in West Chester. He has been in the Powersports business for a long time. Many years ago he owned the Ducati dealership in NYC and then an Indian/MG dealership in Wayne, NJ. He always has great prices on bikes. I'm not familiar with his Service Department. But knowing him he wouldn't stand for any sub standard service.
ff73148
ff73148

Kev M likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev M Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:46 am

ff73148 wrote:
Kev,
I know the owner of the MG dealer in West Chester. He has been in the Powersports business for a long time. Many years ago he owned the Ducati dealership in NYC and then an Indian/MG dealership in Wayne, NJ. He always has great prices on bikes. I'm not familiar with his Service Department. But knowing him he wouldn't stand for any sub standard service.

Yeah I'm aware of that background (maybe you were the one who informed me in the first place). I'm glad to hear and I guess that would be my first stop if I needed outside help. Hell, it WAS my first stop when we looked to purchase the last new one.

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by 9fingers Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:09 pm

Bit of an update: Spoke with Jim Hamlin this week and he informed me that the V7 Corsa (and maybe some others?) are stuck in Texas for some months now, waiting for the EPA to certify the Euro 5 PLUS bikes. Hopefully they do their jobs soon so I can buy the new bike.
Scott

9fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by JoeA Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:36 pm

I HEAR good things about MotoPlex in West Chester wrote:
I bought a V85 Travel from them in 2020. They swaped bags for me,no problem. He could sell snow to the eskimos. They are proactive. Today they had a adventure seminar to push the new stelvio.

JoeA

Kev M likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:20 pm

I'm with the others voting for the peace of mind buying from Hamlin's. MotoPlex in PA would be 2nd choice. I bought my V7 III from them when they were in Wayne, NJ and they seem to know their stuff.

I have repeatedly reached out to the Flemington and Blackman's dealerships about organizing a meet and greet for us but there's no interest. Flemington seems to be focused on the stunter and sport bike community. Losing faith that they give a damn about MG.

Last edited by egschade on Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total
egschade
egschade

Guzziboy66, ff73148 and JoeA like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev M Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:31 am

egschade wrote:
I have repeatedly reached out to the Flemington and Blackman's dealerships about organizing a meet and great for us but there's no interest. Flemington seems to be focused on the stunter and sport bike community. Losing faith that they give a damn about MG.

Ha, I'm relatively certain they never have. Razz

I saw my first Moto Guzzi in person an Blackman's in Emmaus the day I then turned around and bought my Jackal on the phone from a dealer (now out of business) in upstate NY.

Blackman's had a new 2003 Stone Touring model on the floor at the time. I tried hard to make a deal before leaving that day. They wanted full boat + shipping + freight/prep (I should say I don't think I've ever paid all of that on any new motorcycle and I've bought a dozen of em new). At the time Jenn was an undergrad or maybe in med-school - we were above six figures in student loan debt and living on my salary alone. The $4k I saved on the Jackal was important. I would later learn the 03 Stone was a Hydro (pre-recalls) and who knows what kind of nightmare THAT might have become. Blackman's dropped Guzzi a year or two later.

I was surprised (pleasantly) when they picked them up again and even attended a demo day. But that seemed to be the limit of their enthusiasm.

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by 9fingers Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:48 pm

I bought my current V7III Special at Blackmans, cause they were open on a Monday, the day the free freight, $1,000 off promo ended. Of course then they extended the promo but that was unknown at the time. The mountain man sales guy was unaware of the promo but figured it out within a few hours. The one time I needed service they were excellent. But they don't even have a Corsa on order.......a bad sign in my book. They did offer to order me one. If Jim will give me a decent trade in on my bike I will probably get it from him. He has my number to let me know when they are in.
Scott

9fingers

Kev M likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:33 pm

The V7 Corsa is a beauty.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I also dig the new Special with the Arrow 2:1 exhaust

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next