MGNOC of NJ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Corbin for V85TT

3 posters

Go down

Corbin for V85TT Empty Corbin for V85TT

Post by egschade Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:04 am

Very tempted to pick this up but not sure if it will be too high. The Guzzi comfort saddle I have isn't actually all that comfortable for me while the Corbin I had on the Griso was.

Question is if I can lower this if it's too high or am I better off getting my current seat shaped like the Corbin? I've looked around and haven't found anyone who will do custom seat work around here. I talked to Sargent and the cost would be about $500 with shipping plus 3-4 week turn around.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Corbin for V85TT Empty Re: Corbin for V85TT

Post by mogu83 Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:41 am

My experience with Corbin (only had two) is that their almost an inch higher that the stock seat.
That is a good looking seat, the price (even with the shipping) is right but it looks high.
mogu83
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:55 am

Suppose I could add lifts to my riding boots... Laughing

Put an offer in. Figure some minor adjustments could be made w/o too much issue. My OEM comfort saddle sould sell for as much as this Corbin
egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:01 pm

Seller accepted my 2nd offer - should be here sometime next week. It's a custom Corbin rebuild on an OEM base with the cover stapled instead of riveted like on their own saddles. If it's too tall in the front - which it appears to be - should be relatively simple to cut down if necessary.

Will hold on to my comfort saddle until I'm sure I love the Corbin.
egschade
egschade

Guzziboy66 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:08 am

The seat arrived yesterday. Of course the weather has turned too cold for a ride but I'm looking forward to my first ride on it. Initial impression is that it is definitely taller, maybe 2" higher than my current seat and more so towards the tank.

Sitting on the bike I'm now on the tips of my feet vs balls and feet on pegs there's less flex in my knees. The shape of the seat area is much more cupped than stock which is exactly what I want and feels more comfortable.

This was all expected based on the description and the photos. If I decide it's too tall I'll remove some foam from the seat pan side as I don't want to change the contour.

egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by 9fingers Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:39 am

HI Eric, congrats on the new seat! I would love to sit on your bike before you modify the new seat. I test road a V85 and the seat was a deal breaker for me. See you soon! I have done 9 rides since 12/30, which is nuts.....I usually make sure I get out 1 day per winter month just to say I did. But I have been out the coffee house in Hawley a few times and had some fantastic rides! I will probably get out for a bit today on the V Strom.
Scott

9fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by mogu83 Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:12 am

I'm waiting for the 24" snow storm. This week I put 100m on each of three bikes and did a 12K maintenance on the V85.
mogu83
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by 9fingers Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:07 am

mogu83 wrote:I'm waiting for the 24" snow storm.  This week I put 100m on each of three bikes and did a 12K maintenance on the V85.  

It's crazy isn't it? I did around 85 yesterday on the strom, was 43 max up here but I have heated jacket, gloves and those chemical foot warmers. And I did 150 or so during the week on Sophia....it was a bit warmer. Heading out today to my favorite local coffee spot in Greemwood Lake. Should be at least 45 when I leave at 2:00 so will take Sophia again. On the other hand, the ski areas are in a bit of trouble and some of the lakes are VERY low up here.
Scott

9fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by mogu83 Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:49 pm

OK peaked my interest ---------  Where in Greenwood Lake??
Ran into a couple at the Upstate New York Guzzi rally last summer and had a fun conversation talking about the drinking spots in Greenwood Lake during the early 1960s.
Nowadays I like The Breezy for lunch and on the East side The Castle (by the state line), I understand the Sterling Hotel is called something else now.
Lots of good times up there, surprisingly I made it out alive.  Smile
mogu83
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:04 am

Finally had a nice 70 min ride on the Corbin. Definitely more comfortable on the butt than the OEM comfort saddle. Feels like I'm sitting a good 2-3" higher - the reach to the bars is noticeably longer and the shift and brake levers feel too low, maybe because I'm also siting back a little further. The leather is definitely slicker than the OEM cover material. The biggest change is the reach to the ground as the front of the saddle slopes up, making me tip-toe to put both feet down. Will look to make that part of the saddle both lower and narrower if I choose to keep it.
egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by 9fingers Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:15 am

mogu83 wrote:OK peaked my interest ---------  Where in Greenwood Lake??
Ran into a couple at the Upstate New York Guzzi rally last summer and had a fun conversation talking about the drinking spots in Greenwood Lake during the early 1960s.
Nowadays I like The Breezy for lunch and on the East side The Castle (by the state line), I understand the Sterling Hotel is called something else now.
Lots of good times up there, surprisingly I made it out alive.  Smile

Sorry for delau, just saw this. I used to live not far from the Breezy but have not been in 5 or 6 years. I come into the Greenwood from Warwick and past Mount Peter Ski area. Nice ride up over the mountain and as you come down into the town of GL it is at the fork in the road. This place is a notch above all the other roasters or coffee shops I visit. If you love coffee like I do, there is another good one out in Hawley, near lake Wallenpaupack, called the Cacoon. If you go let me know. I had the GPS and was in the parking lot and still couldn't find it. In fact, if you go to any of these places let me know and I will meet you somewhere.
Scott

9fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by 9fingers Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:17 am

egschade wrote:Finally had a nice 70 min ride on the Corbin. Definitely more comfortable on the butt than the OEM comfort saddle. Feels like I'm sitting a good 2-3" higher - the reach to the bars is noticeably longer and the shift and brake levers feel too low, maybe because I'm also siting back a little further. The leather is definitely slicker than the OEM cover material. The biggest change is the reach to the ground as the front of the saddle slopes up, making me tip-toe to put both feet down. Will look to make that part of the saddle both lower and narrower if I choose to keep it.

HI Eric, the thing that bugs me about the Corbins is they plant your butt in one spot and that is it, like it or not. I like to be able to move around a bit more. Seems like if you trim the front down just a bit and shave the sides near the front, your legs will have a better shot at reaching the ground.
Scott

9fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:47 am

Scott - The smooth leather on this saddle doesn't lock you in at all. I find it quite easy to move around. To retain the seat profile but lower it I'll take foam off the bottom and re-glue it once I get it right.
egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:26 am

I finally got around to modifying the Corbin this weekend. I re-contoured the 'dish'  part so it's about 1.5" lower, added a layer of 1/2" medium density foam, added a small bump to keep from sliding forward and lastly, narrowed the front so it's easier to put your legs down. Still a touch tall for my 30" inseam but much more comfortable and supportive than the OEM low-comfort saddle I've been using.

As purchased

Modified
egschade
egschade

Nick, Mac and Kev M like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down