MGNOC of NJ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Now I've done it...

+3
Mac
Nick
egschade
7 posters

Go down

Now I've done it... Empty Now I've done it...

Post by egschade Sun May 14, 2017 2:07 pm

Thanks Harry for connecting me with Jack Cole. Just closed the deal on his 1980 V50 (picture below). Here's his email summary:
Good morning Eric.  Nice to hear from you.  Regards to Harry!

I have , as far as I know, ALL the parts except one passenger footpeg rubber a blinker lens and a side reflector are there.  There is even a OEM luggage rack.  The mufflers are not original, they came off my other V50 that I sold a few months ago, but sounded great on that bike. I have the side covers, and while they do work the paint is flaking off big time and there are cracks. The seat pan and foam are good, I would replace the cover.  The X gas line is gone, with a line running from a petcock to one carb from each side of the tank. Of course even though they look good the tires should be replaced.

I LOVE the V50 and would rather have a good running, dependable one than my V7, they are just a sweet handling bike.  So light and flickable. The linked brakes are super though hard to bleed. Boy, now you have me wondering if I really want to sell it! Funny thing, I sold my other V50 to a fellow named Erik...

Should be a fun refurb with the boys. Will probably pick it up next weekend. Here's the listing: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Now I've done it... Empty Re: Now I've done it...

Post by Nick Sun May 14, 2017 2:44 pm

Good job there, Eric! That will keep you busy for a while.
Nick
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by Mac Sun May 14, 2017 4:53 pm

Nick wrote:Good job there, Eric! That will keep you busy for a while.
Here's another one.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Mac
Mac

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Sun May 14, 2017 8:41 pm

Mac wrote: Here's another one.

Ya - saw this one. If I'm not mistaken it was listed a couple months ago for much less and buried 6" deep in someone's back yard.
egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev M Sun May 14, 2017 9:23 pm

Mac wrote:
Nick wrote:Good job there, Eric! That will keep you busy for a while.
Here's another one.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Wow wtf, $2k yeah right, maybe $500... If you're an optimist!

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by veltro_nero Sun May 14, 2017 9:30 pm

That Monza's been passed around a few times already on craigslist. The original ad may have even said it was a flood bike
veltro_nero
veltro_nero

https://www.instagram.com/moto_etz

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Sun May 14, 2017 9:40 pm

Talking to the current owner Jack, the main issue with the one I'm buying is a sticky, almost stuck clutch that he didn't want to deal with. Can't be any worse than the clutch replacement I did on my EV Touring a few years ago.

It will need the usual refurb stuff too like tires, misc rubber bits, seat cover, and battery to make it road worthy again. Being a 2nd part-time bike I'll put historic QQ plates on it.
egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by mogu83 Mon May 15, 2017 1:46 pm

Wow --- Just think of how dangerous this group is, even with the small size.  A guy shows a passing interest in a 30+ year old bike that was obscure when it was new and then says he might want to get one.

Faster than a speeding bullet two machines are presented for sale.  Bang - bang a deal is made and an innocent (kind of) person is sentenced to years of chasing rusty old parts and trying to figure out  exactly why people from a foreign land built something in a way that makes no sense at all.

Last edited by mogu83 on Sun May 21, 2017 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
mogu83
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Mon May 15, 2017 9:06 pm

mogu83 wrote: Faster than a speeding bullet two machines are presented for sale.  Bang - bang a deal is made and an innocent (kind of) person is sentenced to years of chasing rusty old parts and trying to figure out  exactly why people from a foreign land built something in a way that makers no sense at all.

You can't scare me - I used to drive Alfa Romeos, Fiats and Triumphs BEFORE there was an internet. After spending time with an Alfa mechanical fuel injection systems and holed Spyder blocks I fear no Guzzi! (Especially if it's not my daily ride...)
egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Sat May 20, 2017 9:38 pm

Picked the V50 up yesterday. All the important bits are there and it did start up. It's going to need all the rubber parts replaced, brakes rebuilt, paint and seat cover. Has silly air shocks that are totally flaccid so they need to go if they don't hold air. I'll be done with grad school in a few weeks and will start getting after it then.

egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev M Sat May 20, 2017 9:44 pm

Never say die!

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by royaloilfield Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:00 pm

That bike looks totally streetable to me!!! carb clean , battery, gas tank , air in tires, fresh bungee and some fresh duct tape for the seat and your good to go>>>>I've ridden worse!!! still do....glad to see another bike saved!!!Youngish Brian
royaloilfield
royaloilfield

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:30 pm

Brian - thanks for the encouragement. I have three weeks left in my MS degree and when that's over, I hope to put a chunk of my new free time into getting it running. Plan is to get it running first, then worry about making it pretty. Hopefully not too much is buggered beyond repair.

egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum