Sunday April 2

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Sunday April 2

Post by Nick on Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:11 pm

Slight change of plans.....A couple of buddies just called me and I may join them here [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
I'll post the time later in the week
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick on Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:36 pm

I'm meeting Joe and Adam from Philly at 9:00am at 1 N Main St, Stockton, NJ 08559. It's the intersection of Bridge St and N. Main st (rt. 29N)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

We'll probably get to Belvidere between 10:15 and 11:00am
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade on Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:08 am

Had a good weekend of spring skiing that started with 14" of fresh snow Friday night.

That's enough winter for this season. How was the Sunday ride?
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick on Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:08 am

Glad you had a good time. The ride started out a little cold, but turned out very nice. We met in Stockton and briskly rode to Belvidere, had brunch, a cigar, a BS session and took some interesting roads back to Stockton where we split up and went our own way home. All in all, it was very nice, the EV handled it very well. I had decided to take the Norge, but it was a little lazy and refused to start, at first, and when it finally woke up and we had gone a few miles from home, the "lamp out" warning flashed and I decided to bring it back home and take the EV. C'est la vie Wink
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by Mac on Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:03 am

Nick wrote:Glad you had a good time. The ride started out a little cold, but turned out very nice. We met in Stockton and briskly rode to Belvidere, had brunch, a cigar, a BS session and took some interesting roads back to Stockton where we split up and went our own way home. All in all, it was very nice, the EV handled it very well. I had decided to take the Norge, but it was a little lazy and refused to start, at first, and when it finally woke up and we had gone a few miles from home, the "lamp out" warning flashed and I decided to bring it back home and take the EV. C'est la vie Wink
Life on a Guzzi ! Wink
Mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick on Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:07 am

Mike,
it just did the same thing this morning, not start. I tried 4-5 times. Then tried to jump it and it fired right up. The coincidence is that I installed an Odyssey battery over the winter. I'm taking that out and get a Deka like a have on the EV
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade on Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:24 am

I had a huge issue with the new battery on my Breva. I would charge it and the bike would start fine 3-4 times in a row but then get shitty on me. I resorted to carrying one of those tiny jumper packs with me LIKE THIS ONE but finally traced the issue to the battery not maintaining voltage. It had enough to run the starter, but not enough to also fire the ignition.
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick on Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:30 am

Yeah, I got one of those also and that's how I started it this morning. I'll try to find a battery today.
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade on Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:55 am

Let us know which batter you settle on. I still have the OEM battery and suspect it will need replacing sooner than later - want to avoid a repeat of my Breva battery experience. Thanks.
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by mogu83 on Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:56 am

I have Odyssey batteries in a few of my bikes and have never had a problem. I assume you know that they have to be charged at 14+V to get a full charge. On my old Beamer the one with the Bosch system (like the Guzzi) I changed the voltage regulator to one that charged at slightly higher than stock (13.6 V).

I use a 'Battery Tender' to float them and a smart charger to charge them. The new type AGMs work great but you have to feed them what they like, the old stuff don't cut it.

What size Odyssey in the Norge? I have a new spare PC680 if you want to try it, and it will fit.
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick on Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:17 pm

I have the same, PC680 and had also purchased the charger for it. But I think it was being charged at 13.7V from the bike. Got a battery for it today and I'll use the Odyssey as a spare. Thanks anyway.
Beautiful day today.
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by Mac on Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:05 pm

I never used a Odyssey battery and don't see the usefulness unless it's for a confined space.Been using
AGM batteries for ever.No problems.
Mac

Back to top Go down

Post by mogu83 on Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:41 pm

I think your thinking of the lithium ion motorcycle battery Mike.  The Odyssey is an AGM battery but physically the internal part is constructed different than other AGMs, allowing it to be deep cycled without causing damage.  It's also supposed to hold a charge longer and be vibration resistant.   IMHO the lithium-ion battery is interesting in a lot of applications but not automotive or motorcycles.

Nick.  On the Beemer I just used the police regulalor, same price as the standard but different part number.  BTW: Seeing as the charging system on my Guzzi was the same as the Beemer I had one of those regulators on the Goose.

BTW: Yuasa just brought out a new line of AGM batteries that looks interesting the GYZ series.
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick on Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:00 pm

I may look into that regulator
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by Mac on Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:44 pm

mogu83 wrote:I think your thinking of the lithium ion motorcycle battery Mike.  The Odyssey is an AGM battery but physically the internal part is constructed different than other AGMs, allowing it to be deep cycled without causing damage.  It's also supposed to hold a charge longer and be vibration resistant.   IMHO the lithium-ion battery is interesting in a lot of applications but not automotive or motorcycles.

Nick.  On the Beemer I just used the police regulalor, same price as the standard but different part number.  BTW: Seeing as the charging system on my Guzzi was the same as the Beemer I had one of those regulators on the Goose.

BTW:  Yuasa just brought out a new line of AGM batteries that looks interesting the GYZ series.
OK, I get it now.
Mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Mac on Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:46 pm

Nick wrote:I have the same, PC680 and had also purchased the charger for it. But I think it was being charged at 13.7V from the bike. Got a battery for it today and I'll use the Odyssey as a spare. Thanks anyway.
Beautiful day today.
13.7 is low isn't it.
Mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick on Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:13 pm

The dash voltage actually indicates 13.1 when the bike is idling. I checked the battery terminals with the meter and it indicated 14.5V (edited)
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by Mac on Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:51 am

Nick wrote:The dash voltage actually indicates 13.1 when the bike is idling. I checked the battery terminals with the meter and it indicated 14.5V (edited)
That might be to high and cooking the battery.
Mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick on Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:56 am

I have read that the charging voltage at the battery should be 13.6-8v at idle up to ~14.4v @4k RPM.
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev M on Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:59 am

I think you just got a bad battery. Rare but it can happen.

Odyssey would be my first choice for any bike. The one I had in the Jackal went at least 7-8 years and was still fine when I sold the bike.

The only bike battery I've had match that ironically was OEM Harry batteries since Y2K (cause back in the 90's they'd go every 2 years like clockwork).

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick on Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:01 am

Yo Kev,
any news? Hows the arm/wrist?
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev M on Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:03 am

Surgery today. Getting my new custom titanium parts.

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick on Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:04 am

Don't forget WD40 ;-)
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev M on Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:06 am

I think after the surgery I'm going to need a different lubricant.

Ha ha auto correct wrote liver instead of lubricant the first time.

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by mogu83 on Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:54 am

Kev _ Good luck with the new parts - I guess you'll be getting some interesting drugs. Be careful.

Nick - I'm sure you can go up to 15V (but not over) when charging an Odyssey without causing a problem.
I think that if you have above 13V at idle that's a good thing.  Just think about all the electric stuff running on a new bike, the headlight, fuel pump,and electronic ignition and that's when you turn the key on, before you add accessories.
(Relevant to older bikes)Sometimes you see adjustable voltage regulators, useful but can be dangerous.  If your just doing local stuff you can crank the charging voltage up, but going long distance at high RPM will be a problem.  The old lead acid batterys will cook dry but the new AGM/GEL ones aren't vented and cooking one of them could be a disaster (especially when it's sitting between your legs).
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top