MGNOC of NJ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The V85 is a new direction for Guzzi... And probably not for me.

2 posters

Go down

The V85 is a new direction for Guzzi... And probably not for me. Empty The V85 is a new direction for Guzzi... And probably not for me.

Post by Kev M Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:10 am

Cross-Post from WG

Reader's Digest of below post:

The V85 motor feels more like an air-cooled Duc than a Guzzi smallblock. And though that's not necessarily what I want, I think it could be a great thing for Guzzi.

FULL POST

Just got back from a ~300 mile day...(in the Jeep and largely pouring rain) with Cam..

When we weren't in the Jeep we were basically private guests at Hamlin's open house (cause everyone else came yesterday when it was sunny).

* First - Jim Hamlin (and his entire outfit) was everything I've heard about and more. Anyone in near reach should be giving him business, it's worth it.

* Second - Piaggio has hired a decent guy to pull the V85 demos (along with a Bobber Sport and V7 III Stone) around the country in a van and trailer.

* The V85 is everything I read about and more. I think it's a Guzzi, but that with it Guzzi may be taking a new direction. It's a smallblock, like my beloved V7s and as a motor it's almost not anything like my beloved V7s.

It spins up fast and light feeling in some ways more like our Ducati 696 than our V7s. And ironically thats not where the comparison to the Duc ends. The vented plastic tank covers, trellis frame, and USD forks all remind me of our Monster.

The V85 chassis seems very well built, it's high quality, has an upright riding position, is light, and quick to turn. And probably not for me (just like my departed R1100RS, Breva 1100, Buell ST3).

I hope they sell a ton of them. I'll be curious about a less "adventure" oriented model, but might still not choose it.

HERE'S THE SURPRISE AND UNPOPULAR OPINION

* I LOVE the Bobber Sport! It feels light, nimble, well balanced. It turns way easier than that front tire suggests. It also seems to punch above its specs with regards to power. I know it's only supposed to have a few more hp on paper than our V7III but it FEELS like much more than that. It feels like it pushes like a big block. I suddenly find myself thinking about one like I have never thought about one before.

So part of me is thrilled about the new V85. I think it's a great step for Guzzi to addressing a broader part of the market. I think other variants built around that motor will be more competitive from a performance standpoint. I just realize they won't be for me. Kinda the same way some of the CARC and Spine Frame guys realize the Cali 1400 and maybe even V7 is not for them.

But here, the V9, holy crap. It's punching above its weight class. You old Cali 1100 guys who don't want a 1400 need to check it out. It's way closer to that 1100 in power/performance and maybe even feel than I thought.

So I'm optimistic here. There's a lot of good things potentially happening.

I'll post pics tomorrow.

Kev M

Back to top Go down

The V85 is a new direction for Guzzi... And probably not for me. Empty Re: The V85 is a new direction for Guzzi... And probably not for me.

Post by Kev M Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:01 am

As promised:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Hamlins - Old Skool MC Shop. Upon arriving home I told my wife I would be happy to move anywhere withing a 1 hour radius of Hamlins. Hell, the taxes can't be WORSE in CT right?!?

V85 Goodness.

Excellent fit and finish, and the busy dashboard was not really a problem for me. I'm sure I'd come to love it over time. The silver one was nice, but the full kit McDonald's edition was awesome. I can't wait to see Cam's Red/White one!

Guzzi's new see-through crankcase. Oh wait, it's NOT new, that's there because it's the same case as the other smallblocks. Which has to get at least someone here thinking WHAT if we were to put one in a V7?  afro

** GASP ** What's THIS?!? Guzzis FIRST(?) sight glass? Hmmmmm.

Revised dipstick too, maybe it doesn't go walkabout from time-to-time.

GREAT LINES - but I have to criticize the faux air intake vents (ala Monster) on the tank. Then again, at least one doesn't have to pull half the plastics and tilt the tank up to change the air filter. I'm told one does have to remove the battery (which is conveniently under the seat) and then the cartridge air filter can be slid back out from the rear of the housing. Much better than the Monster.

I'm not kidding, I loved this bike. I really did. Very well balanced front-to-back, nimble turn-in. Hell the wide bars meant I could see past my shoulders in the stock mirrors lol. I'll take one. Now, how to convince the wife that if "I get rid of the Sportster for more room in the garage, that this somehow doesn't negate all that" hmmmmmmm.

One for ME and one for Cam......

Kev M

Back to top Go down

The V85 is a new direction for Guzzi... And probably not for me. Empty Re: The V85 is a new direction for Guzzi... And probably not for me.

Post by Nick Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:22 pm

Thanks Kev!!
Nick
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down