MGNOC of NJ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Veterans MC license plate

3 posters

Go down

Veterans MC license plate Empty Veterans MC license plate

Post by mogu83 Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:35 am

Last February a bill was introduced authorizing a motorcycle license plate with the word Veteran on it  in New Jersey.  The bill was immediately sent to the Transportation and Independent Authorities Committee and is still sitting there.  If you can find the time please contact your State Senator and Assemblymen to move this bill out of Committee. A year is long enough to make a decision. We have plates for just about every group and cause you can think of, why can't a veteran show he/she served on his license plate.  It's a very short bill that will cost the state nothing.
Assembly Bill ----- A2729
Senate Bill ------- S1750

Link to Bill: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Find your [url=Legislator//www.njleg.state.nj.us/members/legsearch.asp]Legislator:http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/members/legsearch.asp[/url]

New York State Vetrans MC Plate:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
mogu83
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Veterans MC license plate Empty Re: Veterans MC license plate

Post by mogu83 Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:33 am

This Assembly bill has finally made it out of Committee (with  amendments ), as obviously required by the legislators the amendments are three times longer than the original bill.  Looks like they added a $50 application fee for veterans that want to show they served.   How sad that we have plates for every group and cause under the sun but this has been spinning around in our legislature, in various forms, for the last few years. Our State plates have been printed instead of stamped for a few years now, so making the change would just be a matter of adding a few lines of code to a program.
mogu83
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by mogu83 Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:06 am

This is how Colorado handles Veterans MC license plates.

[[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
mogu83
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by mogu83 Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:48 pm

S1750 has pass both houses and is now law.  It will be a supplement the Title 39 Chapter 3.

BUT:
The original bill called for a $15 fee - as passed, the plate for people that have served their Country will have a $50 application fee and an additional $10 tagged onto the yearly registration fee.  Also although effective immediately the law won't go into effect for a little over a year, and that is iffy.
Our plates are photo printed and haven't been 'stamped' for a few years.  The only cost involved in implementing this law is for a software change in the program printing the plate, replacing 'Garden State' with "U.S Military Veteran."

This bill as passed is a slap in the face for all New Jersey residents that have served this Country and shows what the present group of legislators think of us.
mogu83
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:06 pm

Leave it to NJ to take something that should have been a tribute to those who served our country and turn it into a tax. Just shameful.
egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev M Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:09 am

Well, FWIW, the state is stupid about all of their various alternate plates. They all carry not only the initial fee but higher renewal fees. I believe in PA the special plates only carried the initial fee which was, in some cases, a donation to the respective cause, but renewal fees were the same.

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by mogu83 Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:58 pm

Well it seems this may not happen after all. The bill was passed but if it's not funded in 12 months it times out. Also they need an undisclosed amount of applications before they will fund it.

I can't find out where the funding will come from and you can't apply for the plates at DMV because they don't exist yet. When you go to MC events around the Country almost every state offers veterans plates for motorcycles usually with an American flag in the background and the crest for the branch the vet served in.

I E-mailed my local State representatives and received information about all the specialty plates that are available (which I was aware of) but little about motorcycle plates.

I E-Mailed back and asked specifically what they are doing to implement the law for Veterans Motorcycle plates

I would imagine if I requested plates for my bike that said, 'Gay Rider', BLM or Transgender I would have them in a year. This has been 'in the works' for almost a decade.
mogu83
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by mogu83 Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:20 pm

Naturally I contacted my representatives. After two back and forths we ended here:

Dear Mr. Costello:

This is in response to your December 29, 2017 e-mail to our 9th District Legislative Office regarding the implementation of a recently enacted veterans’ motorcycle license plate law. Thank you for your continued outreach.

Please be advised that Senator Connors and Assemblywoman Gove supported and voted for S-1750/A-2729, which was signed into law in August, when the measure was presented on the floor of their respective Houses for final approval. Assemblyman Rumpf, who supported S-1750/A-2729, was unable to attend the voting session and thus is recorded as not voting on the legislation.

As stated in our previous communication, while the law took effect immediately, it remains inoperative until the first day of the 13th month following the date the money necessary to offset the initial costs of the license plate program and the minimum number of completed applications for the plates are provided to the commission. The law expires if the money necessary to offset the initial costs of the license plate program and the minimum number of completed applications are not provided to the commission by the last day of the 12th month following enactment. In short, this matter falls under the jurisdiction of the Executive Branch, specifically the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC).

Again, thank you for your continued outreach.

TRANSLATION:  It's out of our hands,it's not our job. Don't bothers us again.
mogu83
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:56 pm

And I interpret the letter as saying, "F-off". What a bunch of empty suits.
egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down