Foothills Parkway

Go down

Foothills Parkway

Post by mogu83 on Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:28 am

While riding around the Smokies I've often stumbled on sections of the Foothills Parkway and wondered why they weren't connected.   Started in 1944 by the National Parks service it's been a continuous struggle to acquire funds to build this road through some very difficult terrain.   There is a small Eastern section near Rt 40 and a longer Western section that terminates on Rt 129 (at the Northern end of the Dragon). It looks like they have opened the entire Western section and the area that is newly opened is spectacular.    In my humble opinion a heavy cruiser is like a fish out of water on the Dragon, but the Foothills Parkway, like the Cherohala Skyway, is ideally suited for a heavy touring bike, or a rider that just wants to take in the views, where the rider can travel at a reasonable speed and enjoy the scenery.  Both roads have ample paved pull offs where you can stop and take in the view, and while riding you don't have to worry too much about some Rickey Road Racer blowing a turn and hitting you head on.
There is still a 20 mile section of the road that is uncompleted and I doubt I'll ever see it done, but I look forward to riding this new section next spring.
Information about new section:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Re: Foothills Parkway

Post by Nick on Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:00 am

I rode the Foothills Parkway (a portion of it) years ago, from rt. 129 to 321 on my way to Pigeon Forge TN.
After coming off the “Tail of the Dragon”, seems a bit anticlimactic, but it is nice and relaxing.
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by mogu83 on Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:00 am

Actually wrote that for the Harley guy list (the ones that go for a lunch ride every Wednesday), but also posted it here and on the Beemer list.  Figured it might keep them off the Dragon.  I figured you and Mike have ridden the road but it will be interesting to see the new section.   Maybe even encouraging someone else on this forum to take a ride down there.  Planning on jumping over there and checking it out at the ROK rally next year.
BTW: I have a free pass for next years ROK Very Happy
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick on Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:27 pm

Free pass for the Ohio rally, free pass for ROK....not bad!!
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by mogu83 on Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:53 pm

Nick wrote:Free pass for the Ohio rally, free pass for ROK....not bad!!

I've been making excuses for not going to the Ohio rally for years. I think John Henry fixed it so I won the free pass to his rally. It is a nice rally with lots of people I know, but it's a rotten ride from Jersey if you want to make it in one day. Problem is, there are also a lot of old friends that go to the Finger Lakes BMW rally in Watkins Glen on the same weekend.
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down