Griso in the garage

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Griso in the garage

Post by egschade on Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:33 pm

Made a successful pickup in Ohio yesterday. The Griso was as advertised, he had all the stock parts, and it ran pretty well. I say pretty well because I don't think the fueling is set up correctly. The bike pulls like a freight train and unlike any Guzzi I've ever ridden but only AFTER it's fully warmed up.

The bike starts right up but won't take any throttle for the first 3-5 minutes, after which it runs fine. I suspect the Power Commander he installed to run the high flow air cleaner and race pipe is not right for off idle. If I hold my hand over the muffler to create additional back pressure it will take throttle fine. The red 'warning' light also remains on the entire time the bike is running. Did I mention he dyno'd the bike and it's making just shy of 100 Hp at the rear wheel with an extra 7 ft-lbs of torque between 3-5K?

The muffler is a straight glass pack HMF number that's really loud. It sounds incredible as the bike revs climb but it's enough to piss people off. Since I'll be my daily commuter I need to tone it down so I reached out to HMF to see about a solution. They make a 'quiet core' for their ATV pipes but don't recommend it for street use. Worst case is I find a quieter slip-on or put the stock ray gun muffler back on and pull the PC out.

There are a couple other little things he did to hot rod the bike that I need to reverse. He fabbed a license plate holder and mounted it to the CARC w/o a light so I'm putting the stock plate holder back on. He also put the teeny tiny LED turn signals on that are basically invisible so they get replaced with the stock ones too. Currently the lights are both unsafe and illegal for NJ.

All in all, mostly minor stuff that can be fixed pretty easily.

Will post up some pictures soon.
egschade

Back to top Go down

Re: Griso in the garage

Post by Nick on Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:14 am

Eric,
I see that you are member at       [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
It's a very good site and with great recommendations for your bike.
I don't know if the original muffler would fit the right-hand setup you have on it.
I'm sure you have read about GuzziDiag and Beetle's maps, but if not, you should familiarize yourself with it:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] .
Or here:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Which Power Commander is on it? Does it have autotune also? I purchased a map from Beetle that utilizes
Autotune and allows me to keep PC-V, but with a map created by him.
When you say "red warning light stays on" worries me. What codes do you get from the diag. screen?
Oh well, I'm glad you got it home. Let the customizing begin ;-)
Nick
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by Mac on Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:31 pm

Eric, I have a GuzziDiag cable if you want it.Let me know.
Mac

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade on Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:21 pm

I don't know if the original muffler would fit the right-hand setup you have on it.
>> I would pull the custom mid-pipe and muffler to reinstall the stock pipe on the left side.

Which Power Commander is on it? Does it have autotune also? I purchased a map from Beetle that utilizes
Autotune and allows me to keep PC-V, but with a map created by him.
>> Not sure but will check it out. I have the original box and instructions so I should be able to figure it out. If I go stock I would remove the PC altogether and start over with better maps.

When you say "red warning light stays on" worries me. What codes do you get from the diag. screen?
>> will need to look up how to read the diag screen and let you know.

>> more like de-customizing. Much of what he did makes it less of a daily bike. Want to keep the custom exhaust if I can make it behave.
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick on Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:33 pm

Eric,
one thing you've got going for you is that there are many Grisos around and the knowledge base on the different forums is vast. Let us know if you need help with anything and I'm sure we'll "help" in making it "more confusing" Laughing
Nick

Ps.: May we'll get to see it on 3/5 since we are scheduled to have a late breakfast at Sky Manor airport [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade on Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:06 pm

I'll put March 5th - Sky Manor on the calendar!
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade on Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:24 pm

Nick wrote:
Nick

I finished removing the LED turn signals and re-installing the stock units. Had to do some re-wiring but they work plus they also cleared the red warning light on the dash. I installed my 5-bike old fly screen (will paint the arms black when it's warmer) and a dB killer that helps with the cold start and running. Starting to take shape...
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick on Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:45 pm

Good news on that warning light.
That is one great looking machine! [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade on Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:43 pm

Updated picture with the new tires.
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by Guzziboy66 on Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:13 pm

Eric -

If you're considering getting rid of the corbin seat, I'd like a shot at it. Unless it's already been claimed of course...

Guzziboy66

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade on Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:13 pm

E - I'm going to hold on to both. Want to get a couple longer rides in on both and let my ass make the decision. Love the looks of the stock but if it's a typical Guzzi saddle I'll want the Corbin for longer rides. Next time we get together you can take it for a test ride.
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick on Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:57 am

That Corbin makes the tail look smoother. The rear of the brown one looks too "two-up".....
Just my [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade on Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:14 am

Nick wrote:That Corbin makes the tail look smoother. The rear of the brown one looks too "two-up".....
Just my [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2-up comes in handy when my life-pillion and I make an ice cream or burger run
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade on Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:58 pm

So I finally got around to putting the stock exhaust on the bike today... It actually made it run quite a bit better than the 'custom performance/race system' the PO has installed. Not quite the top end hit but far more torque everywhere else, especially in the mid-range where I'll be doing almost all my riding. Painted the mid pipe to match the headers - came out pretty well. The stock muffler is a beast so I may still replace it with an aftermarket.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev M on Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:02 am

Why is that point about mid range not surprising.

Rhetorical.

The answer is simple reversion and lack of aftermarket testing for anything but peak hp.

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade on Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:20 am

Kev M wrote:Why is that point about mid range not surprising.

Rhetorical. The answer is simple reversion and lack of aftermarket testing for anything but peak hp.

Hi Lefty! 96 HP at the rear wheel sounds tasty but it clearly sacrificed low-mid range performance (and my ear drums). Glad I finally got around to removing that system.

How goes the healing process?
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick on Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:34 am

Many Griso owners use the original muffler and are happy with the performance, sound, etc...I just feel that they "could" have made it a "little" smaller. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev M on Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:37 am

Lol, yeah cosmetics are the only concern with the OEM muffler on a Griso and frankly the rest of the bike is stunning enough to not notice.

Healing can begin later today after they break me more during surgery.

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade on Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:19 pm

Kev M wrote:Lol, yeah cosmetics are the only concern with the OEM muffler on a Griso

I feel the Griso muffler is an exquisite example of neo art deco meets Buck Rogers Italian design! But seriously it is a bit of a wart on an otherwise beautiful face. It also must weigh 20+ pounds - I nearly broke my wrist putting that thing on the bike (oops - sorry Kev Rolling Eyes ) Hope the surgery went well today...
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top