Spending money

Go down

Spending money

Post by egschade on Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:53 pm

The weather has kept me off the road for the most part but it hasn't stopped me from doing some additions to the V7. Installed the knee pads, big windshield and hand guards earlier. Today I added the GIVI rear rack. Installation was very straight forward though timely as the instructions only consisted of one illustration and a number of parts had to be removed. It's probably 4" longer than I thought but it still looks decent. Will use my soft trunk for now. I propped the tank bag from the Griso on the V7 but with its big tank, it looks awkward.

Weather looks reasonable on Monday so maybe I'll actually be able to get some miles on the bike.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
egschade

Back to top Go down

Re: Spending money

Post by mogu83 on Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:14 pm

Do me a favor ---- rip that stupid looking reflector that's hanging below the license plate off and throw it as far away from the bike as you can.

What were they thinking ??? (I know DOT, Federal Law, etc,etc)
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev M on Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:11 pm

Looks great!

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade on Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:18 pm

mogu83 wrote:Do me a favor ----  rip that stupid looking reflector that's hanging below the license plate off and throw it as far away from the bike as you can.

What were they thinking ???   (I know DOT, Federal Law, etc,etc)

The lolly pop goes along with the side reflectors and all the dumb stickers. Just haven't gotten that far...
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by Mac on Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:18 am

Looks good!
Mac

Back to top Go down

Post by JerryK on Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:18 am

Nice, like it!

JerryK

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade on Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:32 pm

Now here's an interesting 'custom' that's caught my eye. It looks like someone figured out how to graft a 2-series scrambler exhaust onto a 3-series motor - something that isn't supposed to work due to the new heads on the 3. Not sure I like the silver side panels but the fenders work for me. Also noticed the headlight has been pulled up a bit higher on the forks. Rest of the bike looks pretty stock. Can't quite figure out [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and if they sell these parts but they have a lot of cool pictures of this bike.

egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by mogu83 on Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:13 pm

And the benefit of the high pipes is ???
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade on Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:11 am

mogu83 wrote:And the benefit of the high pipes is ???

...Because I like'em. Grew up riding scramblers (Honda CL's etc.), love the look. Pure emotional, non-logical thing. I came this close -||- to buying a Triumph Scrambler instead of the V7 but it's a big, top-heavy bike and that was a deal breaker for me.

Unlikely I'll put a new system on my bike for cost reasons - probably $2K by the time you make them fit, set up the dual O2 sensors and re-do the fuel map. It may be an emotional thing but the logic of the wallet prevails. Maybe in a couple years if a used set shows up on eBay.
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick on Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:35 am

Found this description on a website earlier:
Raised, close-mounted exhaust in typical Scrambler style for a striking sound.
The raised exhaust rear silencers made of blasted high-grade steel/titanium meets the requirements of a classic Scrambler with an authentic air-cooled engine. It is mounted deliberately close to the body, thereby emphasizing the bike’s slim, wiry appearance – a style that already defined the typical Scrambler more than 50 years ago
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by mogu83 on Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:03 am

I never liked high exhaust, maybe because I've managed to get some nice burns from low pipes over the years and don't see the logic of having exhaust that close to a very tender part of your leg, on a street bike.

BUT I do thoroughly understand ".Because I like'em."
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by Mac on Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:11 pm

egschade wrote:Now here's an interesting 'custom' that's caught my eye. It looks like someone figured out how to graft a 2-series scrambler exhaust onto a 3-series motor - something that isn't supposed to work due to the new heads on the 3. Not sure I like the silver side panels but the fenders work for me. Also noticed the headlight has been pulled up a bit higher on the forks. Rest of the bike looks pretty stock. Can't quite figure out [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and if they sell these parts but they have a lot of cool pictures of this bike.

I guess you should have bought the Stornello.
Mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick on Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:11 pm

Mac wrote:
I guess you should have bought the Stornello.

The Stornello is a V7 II

check out this video for some key differences
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade on Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:11 pm

Mike - As the video in Nick's link states, "everything's different". Having ridden the V7 II and III back to back I felt there really was a noticeable improvement in power and handling between the two. Enough so that it didn't make sense to buy the Stornello as originally planned. About the only thing I don't like about the new bike are the huge, out of proportion mufflers. I will be looking to change them eventually.
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade on Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:40 pm

Been spending a little time on the GuzziTech site. Is it just me or does it seem that many of the folks there seem more concerned with adding one of Todd's gizmos than actually riding? I'm willing to invest in meaningful updates but many of the accessories there seem to provide questionable value and fix things that aren't really broken.

To quote one of my favorite forum contributors, "Just Say'n'"

On a different note (but still spending $$), I'm thinking about a center stand but am balking at the cost, weight and from what I hear, reduced cornering clearance. Rather than spend the $250+ on a center stand, what do you folks think about a combination of Pit Posse or Scissor Jack, and a SnapJack? Both could be had for less than 1/2 the cost of the center stand...
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by Mac on Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:43 pm

egschade wrote:Been spending a little time on the GuzziTech site. Is it just me or does it seem that many of the folks there seem more concerned with adding one of Todd's gizmos than actually riding? I'm willing to invest in meaningful updates but many of the accessories there seem to provide questionable value and fix things that aren't really broken.

To quote one of my favorite forum contributors, "Just Say'n'"

On a different note (but still spending $$), I'm thinking about a center stand but am balking at the cost, weight and from what I hear, reduced cornering clearance. Rather than spend the $250+ on a center stand, what do you folks think about a combination of Pit Posse or Scissor Jack, and a SnapJack? Both could be had for less than 1/2 the cost of the center stand...
I've been using this jack for many years on Guzzi,Full dress Harley and a 900lb Wing.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Mac

Back to top Go down

Post by mogu83 on Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:40 pm

I have the exact same jack. I like to use it when I clean the bike or do the tires on the valk.
OTOH - I really like a center stand. It really comes in handy at tire change time or if you have to get the tire off the ground for maintenance. Maybe not a great idea on a heavy weight bike but nice to have on a mid-weight.
As far as cornering clearance, depends on the rider Valentino Rossi would likely say the paint on his gas tank cuts down on his cornering clearance.
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by Mac on Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:50 pm

mogu83 wrote:I have the exact same jack.  I like to use it when I clean the bike or do the tires on the valk.
OTOH - I really like a center stand.  It really comes in handy at tire change time or if you have to get the tire off the ground for maintenance.  Maybe not a great idea on a heavy weight bike but nice to have on a mid-weight.
As far as cornering clearance, depends on the rider Valentino Rossi would likely say the paint on his gas tank cuts down on his cornering clearance.
Harry, I put the Wing on it and pull both wheels.And I used to put the Indian and a Dresser on it.I agree some bike don't work on it like K1600.The Dresser fit the best.
Mac

Back to top Go down

Post by mogu83 on Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:14 pm

The Harleys with that double loop frame work great others that don't have a flat problem need extra work. I bought an adapter that fits under the Valk and made one for my /5.
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick on Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:23 pm

egschade wrote:Been spending a little time on the GuzziTech site. Is it just me or does it seem that many of the folks there seem more concerned with adding one of Todd's gizmos than actually riding? I'm willing to invest in meaningful updates but many of the accessories there seem to provide questionable value and fix things that aren't really broken.

Keep in mind that GuzziTech is a Todd-owned forum, so any accessories that are needed, it is skewed heavily toward what Todd carries, just like the AF1 forum. Todd may be a little pricey, but carries top of the line merchandise.
Not just saying....... I purchased many items from GuzziTech and am very happy with them.
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by Mac on Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:31 pm

mogu83 wrote:The Harleys with that double loop frame work great others that don't have a flat problem need extra work.  I bought an adapter that fits under the Valk and made one for my /5.
Where did you buy adapters?
Mac

Back to top Go down

Post by mogu83 on Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:00 pm

Mac wrote:
Where did you buy adapters?
I forget.  They were on e-bay when the Valkyrie was being sold.  Made out of 1" square tubing.

An aftermarket center stand was also available, but pulling that monster up on a center stand would have required me spending hours in the gym building myself up enough to move 900 pounds.
Very Happy
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade on Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:54 pm

mogu83 wrote: An aftermarket center stand was also available, but pulling that monster up on a center stand would have required me spending hours in the gym building myself up enough to move 900 pounds.
Very Happy

Took a while but I learned how to get my K1200LT up on the center stand w/o too much effort and it was 800 something pounds. A lot has to do with the design of the stand and in particular, the pivot point and length of the lever arm.

Another advantage of the Snapjack is that unlike a center stand, you don't need to be on level ground and depending on need, you can push the front or rear off the ground. Does it sound like I'm selling myself on one?
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev M on Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:28 pm

I have a jack like that (makes a great transmission jack for rwd vehicles too!).

I have a bike lift/table.

I still have a centerstand on the V7 and I'm glad I do from changing/checking oil to other basic services to loading or refueling.

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum