Hey NedM

Go down

Hey NedM

Post by mogu83 on Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:54 pm

Looking at the information I see your one of an elite group of people born in the year 1943. The year of the bad penny and good people IMHO.
What do you ride? Do you make any local rallies.
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Re: Hey NedM

Post by NedM on Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:21 am

Surprised you noticed!

Currently ride a Suzuki TU250 but seriously thinking of moving to a somewhat larger machine and am intrigued by Moto Guzzis.

Currently reside in Delaware but was born and raised in NJ and three of our children live there so we visit often.

As I mentioned to the gentleman (Kev M) who directed me here I thought  to join as I might learn  of bikes for sale and also nice riding destinations.

I describe my riding as "I ride solo (wife has no interest in motorcycles), I ride slow, and I ride close to home."

Very much like the look of the V7 but find it hard to justify buying a new bike at this stage of life. I have seen an ad for a 2000 Jackal here in DE but fear it might be too big for my needs.

Hope to make some decisions very soon.

Ned

NedM

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev M on Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:29 am

The good thing about Moto Guzzis (or bad thing if you buy new) is that if you wait a few years they are available on the cheap. I'm sure by now you could find even a 2013 V7 Stone (like mine) for about HALF or less of what I paid new! (Though mine's not going to be available anytime soon cause I love it).

Welcome and have fun.

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade on Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:40 am

Hi NedM - If you look around you'll see a couple dealers blowing out leftover V7's. I'm picking up a 2017 V7 III Stone for $7K. There's a dealer in MD [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] who has similar pricing. Check out the "Cheap Stornello" topic also here in the Discussion folder.
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by mogu83 on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:20 am

Ned,
Welcome aboard. Also being a person slowly heading toward the mythical fore score years I understand your hesitation to jump head first into something you may or may not enjoy.

I like your choice of the Jackal (or something similar) the cruiser style  bikes have a low seat and wider handlebars which makes getting on and off easier and the wide bars lessen the steering effort.  The engine, while responsive, is tuned for chugging around town (think tractor) and won't surprise you by suddenly putting out a bunch of HP at some RPM that feels like someone smacked you in the rear(a situation common with highly tuned engines). These three, seat,bars and mild engine will make the bike seem much smaller than it is.

I'm really not that up on the newer Guzzis, as far as what models to stay away from, but I'm sure that someone who is will give an opinion (some of them are opinionated) on a specific model if you ask.

Hope to see you on the road.
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev M on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:30 am

I put 40k miles or so on my Jackal, but finally sold it because I was tired of constantly fixing it. But many people think I just got the Jackal from hell.

Still my V7 has been so much better a bike it isn't funny.

On chassis differences, the Jackal seat height is lower, but it is also more than 100# heavier (wet weight of 572# vs. 443# so nearly 130# heavier). And though it is far from a heavy bike you definitely feel a difference in both size and just overall mass on the Jackal when comparing it to a smallblock like the V7.

It's also more than a decade older, was built at a time when Guzzi was cash strapped and being sold to Aprilia.

If you like tinkering the Jackal may require a tad more from the dual throttle bodies which will eventually require synchronization (though that's pretty rare) to the external fuel pump and filter assembly. It's got a myraid of external fuel and breather hoses.

The Jackal (and other Cali variants) have a solid chassis and motor, and they should last a long time. They run down the highway effortlessly and handle better than a bike of that size/shape should.

That said I much prefer my V7 for ease of ownership, lighter weight/handling, and just plain better looks/more fun. Granted the last few items are very subjective so YMMV, but that's all coming from a guy who doesn't have any problem with BIG bikes (since the biggest in the fleet right now is just over 800# and taller than a Jackal).

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by NedM on Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:23 pm

Very much appreciate the replies.

The weight of the Jackal or similar style is of concern. I'm not decrepit but certainly don't have the strength if my youth. Also, my "wish list" for a new(er) machine includes cast wheels with tubeless tires and ABS so the V7 really meets my main three goals (a bit more power being the third but the TU boasting under 20 HP makes it hard to find a bike that doesn't fulfill that one!).

It does seem a smallblock is where I should concentrate my search.

Again, my thanks to those taking the time to respond.

Ned

NedM

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:05 pm

If you're in NJ, check out MG of Wayne on Rt 23. That's where I'm headed tomorrow. I went with the 2017 Stone III for the cast wheels and stronger engine.
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum