MGNOC of NJ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Engine break in

4 posters

Go down

Engine break in Empty Engine break in

Post by egschade Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:59 am

In my 45 years of motorcycling I have NEVER owned a brand new bike. Presuming I go with the Stone version of a new V7, how does one manage these 'recommended' engine speeds w/o a tach? Not a problem on the Special since it does have a rev counter.

WARNING: To ensure proper operation, have dealer carry out first scheduled service at around 620 miles as per maintenance chart.

- During first 600 miles do not exceed 5000 rpm
- Between first 621 miles and 1250 miles ride more briskly. Change speed and use maximum acceleration only for a few seconds, in order to ensure better coupling of the components. Keep RPMs under 6000 rpm
- After first 1250 miles you can expect better performance from the engine. However, do not exceed the maximum allowed engine speed (7600 rpm).

In a related item, several video reviews the riders comment on the 'abrupt' rev limiter on the Stone. From what I read it's set for 'soft' engagement at 7000 and gets angry if you try to push past 7500. I suspect these riders are just going WOT on the bike and Guzzi may have even changed the cutoff to protect the bikes from ham-fisted testers. Thoughts?
egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Engine break in Empty Re: Engine break in

Post by Kev M Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:05 am

Hmmm, why was I thinking there was a programmable shift light on those?!?

Might be worth grabbing a V7III owner's manual and checking for it.

That said I can't for the life of me understand why they didn't make a tach display on of the odometer toggle functions of they weren't going to include an analog tach. Makes no sense.

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:26 am

Nick - is there a way to move this to the Discussion category? Put it here by mistake.

Kev - did a little more digging and there's a [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] that allows you to use a smartphone as a tach. Will be interesting to see how it works.
egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev M Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:32 am

Sooo I was remembering correctly:

App info wrote:You can set specific thresholsd for speed, rpm and roll angle. Dedicated warning lights are activated if the limits are exceeded.

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:49 am

As far as break-in period, I just ride conservatively for the first 600 miles (stick to speed limits, no over-revving, change speed/rpms often), do the first service and then gradually increase the numbers. No problems so far.
Nick
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by mogu83 Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:00 am

+1 Nick.  Breaking in engines is a thing of the past, to day when a vehicle rolls out of the factory it's ready to go.  If something breaks in the first 1,000 miles it was going to break no matter what you did.
I pounded my Beemer from day 1, never added oil between 5K changes.  Last summer 7k trip (high temp, highway speed)125K on clock and didn't add oil.
IMHO
mogu83
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev M Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:13 am

I know that's not what you were asking per se, but I pretty much agree with Harry and Nick.

Engine break-in used to mostly be about seating the rings. And I'm not saying there isn't still some seating that occurs in the first few heat cycles, but machining today is so much better than it was (more precise than ever) and materials are better than ever as well.

Though I probably wouldn't go bouncing it off the rev limiter right away, it's more a concern over whether or not any errors were made in assembly (of the motor OR chassis) and giving myself a few hundred miles to build my confidence in the machine more than any real concern for harm it might do to the machine.

I also wouldn't want to blatantly blow through rpm restrictions constantly in the rare and unlikely case there is a major problem AND a data tracker in the ECU that would tell Piaggio that the bike wasn't broken-in properly and thus giving them ammo to deny a warranty claim. Yes, VERY VERY unlikely, but not worth the risk on a brand new bike/motor.

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by mogu83 Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:43 am

Kev M wrote:the rare and unlikely case there is a major problem AND a data tracker in the ECU that would tell Piaggio that the bike wasn't broken-in properly and thus giving them ammo to deny a warranty claim. Yes, VERY VERY unlikely, but not worth the risk on a brand new bike/motor.

I don't know about unlikely.  50 years ago (in another life) I was an auto mechanic.  We used to send our cylinder heads out to an outside shop to be rebuilt.  When they came back they had a button sized seal glued on them.  I asked once what the button was, I was told that at a certain temperature the glue melted and the seal fell off, and the warranty was voided.  With all the magic electronics on to days bikes the situation you brought up (that I never thought about) could easily be reality,certainly something to consider..
BIG BROTHER is always watching.
mogu83
mogu83

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev M Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:24 am

mogu83 wrote:
Kev M wrote:the rare and unlikely case there is a major problem AND a data tracker in the ECU that would tell Piaggio that the bike wasn't broken-in properly and thus giving them ammo to deny a warranty claim. Yes, VERY VERY unlikely, but not worth the risk on a brand new bike/motor.

I don't know about unlikely.  50 years ago (in another life) I was an auto mechanic.  We used to send our cylinder heads out to an outside shop to be rebuilt.  When they came back they had a button sized seal glued on them.  I asked once what the button was, I was told that at a certain temperature the glue melted and the seal fell off, and the warranty was voided.  With all the magic electronics on to days bikes the situation you brought up (that I never thought about) could easily be reality,certainly something to consider..
BIG BROTHER is always watching.

Oh yeah yeah, I'm sure they are watching to some extent/in some way.

The unlikely scenario I was talking about was a major engine failure under warranty, especially during break-in.

It could happen, and hell there was a run of V7 II's built WITHOUT THE CRANKSHAFT THRUST BEARINGS and they did fail (though ironically it sounds like most made it out of break-in before they failed).

But barring a freak situation like that I think it is unlikely that something major is just going to fail leading Piaggio to go on a ghost hunt to make sure it was broken-in properly.

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:29 pm

I went and downloaded the V7 III service manual. On the Stone you can set the shift indicator light to Low (4500 RPM alert) or High (7500 RPM default but can change in increments of 100).

I will be trying to get a 'marketing' bike with low miles rather than a 'magazine' bike that has 2-3K of probably rough usage.
egschade
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down