NGC - Audi shop manual

Go down

NGC - Audi shop manual

Post by Nick on Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:48 am

I'm looking for a decent shop manual for my Audi. Almost all participants in the Audi Forums use/recommend [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. How does Chilton/Haynes etc...compare?

I figured I'll post this here since we are fortunate to have Kev and I know he has had some first hand involvement on this subject.
Nick

Back to top Go down

Re: NGC - Audi shop manual

Post by Kev M on Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:19 am

What's the specific Year and Model?

I don't recall that we ever bothered to write a full Audi Total Car Care manual (we called em TCC's for short) back during my tenure at Chilton. If there is a Chilton's manual for it now then it is a recovered Haynes book.

I would say that if you wanted something in print for cheap I'm sure you could effect most basic repairs.

I would steer clear for anything more complicated than typical maintenance or parts replacement.

I guess for PRINT then I would probably recommend either OEM or Bentley.

For online that's a whole different thing as they are largely just going to reproduce the OEM data and it may be cheaper and more cost effective to go that way. Not to mention you can usually get short term access (1 day, 1 month or 1 year) cheaper than print.

Mitchel, Alldata, Haynes, and ChiltonDIY all have their own services.

Here's Mitchel's, I'd probably start there for electronic:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick on Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:25 am

2008 a4
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev M on Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:31 am

Sorry man, I checked my best nefarious source and can't find one on the DL.

What type of repair(s) you looking to do?

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick on Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:32 am

Nothing yet. I just like to have one close by, just in case.
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick on Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:44 am

Thanks Kev
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev M on Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:07 pm

I used to be that way, but when automotive shop manuals started costing $100-150 a set, and even a year-long subscription to a pro-database for a single model starts around $20-30, I said screw it and started to just use forums and free data for maintenance, and I'll buy a repair manual or subscribe once something more serious goes wrong.

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade on Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:07 pm

Having had several Audis and BMWs I agree that the Bentley manuals are the better than Chilton and a lot better than Haynes. That said I did fine with Chilton and supplements from the interweb. IMHO - if you're getting it 'just in case' than Chilton should be fine.

You may also want to consider and eBay or Amazon used copy. All the manuals are listed [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev M on Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:52 pm

egschade wrote:Having had several Audis and BMWs I agree that the Bentley manuals are the better than Chilton and a lot better than Haynes. That said I did fine with Chilton and supplements from the interweb. IMHO - if you're getting it 'just in case' than Chilton should be fine.

You may also want to consider and eBay or Amazon used copy. All the manuals are listed [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

But again, Haynes purchased Chilton from us back in ~2002 give or take, and ANY model specific print manual put out by Chilton since then IS just a Haynes manual with another cover. Literally get your hands on one and open the cover and you'll see the Haynes book about the same model from first to last page).

The professional manuals and the electronic products at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] are a different matter, produced by Cengage and some of my old staff.

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by egschade on Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:03 pm

Kev M wrote:
But again, Haynes purchased Chilton from us back in ~2002 give or take, and ANY model specific print manual put out by Chilton since then IS just a Haynes manual with another cover. Literally get your hands on one and open the cover and you'll see the Haynes book about the same model from first to last page).

The professional manuals and the electronic products at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] are a different matter, produced by Cengage and some of my old staff.

Hmm. Who knew? Then again, I may not have purchased anything but OEM stuff since the 90's
egschade

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev M on Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:10 pm

egschade wrote:
Kev M wrote:

Hmm. Who knew? Then again, I may not have purchased anything but OEM stuff since the 90's

Well, uh, ME since I was running the editorial department at the time alien , but that's why I mentioned it in my first response (probably got lost in my usual verbosity Sleep ).

Kev M

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum